Need some help...

Participant count
  • Participant list

zealous
10+ year member

Utah
I had a friend help me install my system recently and he reversed the tweeter and mid-woofer wires on my drivers side. Needless to say it blew the tweeter and the woofer was super quiet. Now I have the wires hooked up right but my mid-woofer is still quiet. Any ideas on what else it could be?

Just reversing the polarity on the tweet won't kill it, there's something else going on here...I assume it's a passive setup with some kind of outboard crossover? Do you have a picture of how that's wired?

Just reversing the polarity on the tweet won't kill it, there's something else going on here...I assume it's a passive setup with some kind of outboard crossover? Do you have a picture of how that's wired?
I'm a car audio noob so I don't know what an outboard crossover is. The speakers that I installed are Pioneer Premier TS-C720PRS. The crossovers came with the set. Dunno if that info helps or not.

Ouch . Yea check the passive crossovers that came with the set. Check the woofer and tweet connections
I checked them and now their set up the way they should be. Tweeter is still dead and the woofer is still quiet. Any other ideas?

Check all your setings on your your hu,you might have the balance set to one side? I agree with the other guys too, maby your wires are backwards. One easy way to theck polarity is to hook up a small battery to the wires of the speakers, pos to pos, neg to neg, and if the speaker moved out than your good, if it moves in than the speaker is out of phase and you should wire it again.

Reversing polarity won't have any effect on the driver's power handling. You have one of five possible problems: Your HU is messed up or the settings are off, your wiring is incorrect, your crossover is cooked, your amplifier is malfunctioning, or the speakers are messed up. But I still think you have your wiring wrong somewhere.

Do that and check your HU settings, and if it still isn't working, you'll need to do some more process of elimination. Check back and we'll figure it out.

I have tracked the problem down guys... one of the solder connections came undone. Thanks for all the help.

Inside the door on the tweeter connection. That's why the tweeter "died" and I figured it had just gotten overloaded from being crossed but the connection just came undone. The woofer was quiet because the settings on the amp needed to be adjusted.

The reason I didn't catch the break sooner was because when the tweeter died I just assumed that it was because the wires were crossed and just pulled all the wires out of both crossovers and redid them 1 at a time. Once again, thanks to everyone for the replies.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.