need some help with picking best box for my application

Participant count
  • Participant list

derbyman3

trying to decide between sealed and ported and the overall shape and style of box i have a pair of 12in phoenix gold elites there 3600 watt max and 2600 watt rms and there going into a 04 grand prix gt only have 1800 watt kenwood class D mono amp at the moment but upgrading to atleast 5000 watts for the amp so any help is greatly appricated hoping to biuld box this weekend thanks in advance for anyones help new to stereo systems this powerful biggest i ever had was 2 12in kenwoods 1200 watt max pushed by my 1800 watt kenwood and wasnt loud enough and melted them in the first five months

trying to decide between sealed and ported and the overall shape and style of box i have a pair of 12in phoenix gold elites there 3600 watt max and 2600 watt rms and there going into a 04 grand prix gt only have 1800 watt kenwood class D mono amp at the moment but upgrading to atleast 5000 watts for the amp so any help is greatly appricated hoping to biuld box this weekend thanks in advance for anyones help new to stereo systems this powerful biggest i ever had was 2 12in kenwoods 1200 watt max pushed by my 1800 watt kenwood and wasnt loud enough and melted them in the first five months
To answer your question, go ported if you have the room. Do you even have the electrical to run that kind of power? Now exactly what did you melt?

How did you set your gains?

i was thinking ported but that leaves me with another problem i have absolutely no clue how to biuld the box and figure the size and air space needed i can cut and build the box no problem just figuring out the size it needs to be is where im lost and right now i only have a 4 gauge power wire upgrading to 0 gauge tho and it completely burn the wires from the cone to the magnets in half on both subs and melted and misshaped the plastic cover that covered the magnets thats how hot they got and got plenty of room in my trunk for any size box i will need and the gain im not sure what it was set to dont remember i blew the subs on fourth of july weekend and i think its cause my sister and her bf where here and he said to bridge my amp down to 1ohm that my subs could handle it no problem well 4 hours later they where box cooked

i was thinking ported but that leaves me with another problem i have absolutely no clue how to biuld the box and figure the size and air space needed i can cut and build the box no problem just figuring out the size it needs to be is where im lost and right now i only have a 4 gauge power wire upgrading to 0 gauge tho and it completely burn the wires from the cone to the magnets in half on both subs and melted and misshaped the plastic cover that covered the magnets thats how hot they got and got plenty of room in my trunk for any size box i will need and the gain im not sure what it was set to dont remember i blew the subs on fourth of july weekend and i think its cause my sister and her bf where here and he said to bridge my amp down to 1ohm that my subs could handle it no problem well 4 hours later they where box cooked
Your amp is probably not 1 ohm stable which will cause the amp to heat up bad.. You're gonna have to get a better quality amp. It probably doesn't do rated RMS watts on your amp. Never look at Max watts..You were probably clipping hard in your amp and your subs just couldn't handle it. If you're wanting to run 5000w or some ridiculous number like that, you need the electrical to back it up. You have to make power to run power. Don't just put a big amp in expecting it to run good when you don't have anything generating the power for you. You can make good use of your power by being efficient on your box. Even 1000w can sound loud with the right box and equipment. Since you have a lot of room, make your enclosure on the bigger side and it'll be efficient/louder with less power. That way you don't have to buy a crazy 5000w to be "loud enough".

I would probably make your box like maybe 5 cu ft net for your 2 12's. Tune it to whatever you like depending on your taste in music. Low 30s for rap and mid to higher 30's for rock and other genres that have a lot of midbass.

Subs tend to get hot in sealed boxes so you can't be blasting them for 4 hours straight and expect them to survive.

Go ported. I switched from sealed to ported & it's a big difference and as far as building a box it's really not that hard you just have to get the cuts right. I built a 4 cubic foot box for two tnt 12's and I did 140 @ 49 hz on a cheap *** belva amp in the trunk

Go ported. I switched from sealed to ported & it's a big difference and as far as building a box it's really not that hard you just have to get the cuts right. I built a 4 cubic foot box for two tnt 12's and I did 140 @ 49 hz on a cheap *** belva amp in the trunk
How do you like those tnt's? Doing an enclosure this week for 2 10's.

First off, get some knukonceptz 1/0 OFC or sky high 1/0 or 2/0 OFC(oxygen free copper) absolutely necessary for 5000 watts rms.

2nd Do the big 3 upgrade, get an high output alternator and several AGM batteries or else you wont have a chance of running those subs without your car's electrical system self destruct on you. You are looking at well over 1000 dollars in electrical upgrades to support a 5000 watts rms system. Also, Ditto with blazian's peak power comment. Absolutely useless number, never look or even think it should have anything to do with your amp or sub choices EVER again.

Second, every time you change the impedance, you HAVE to set the gains properly again. Google up how to set gains with a digital multi-meter.

Third, free good quality enclosure designs are everywhere, you just need to look. here are some:

Go download google sketchup and go to ZCON Series Sub Woofer scroll down and click predesigned enclosures, their box designs generally work really well with any sub in similar power category.

Z v.4 Series Go down to box and cut sheet, its google sketup also.

*OFFICIAL* Free Ported Box Plans (56k NO!!) - Dodge SRT Forum Take your pick. I'd go with the bottom two.

already have done the big 3 upgraded it all to 0 gauge and already have the high output alt. plus a 8 farad capasitor
REAL 0 gauge? What brand? And that farad isnt going to do anything so dont bother, get 3 XSD3100s to go along with your alt which i hope is atleast a 250A that should be enough for 5k to stay in nice voltages

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.