Need some general help...

new2one

Hey everyone,

(please forgive me if I sound ignorant to some of this, I am)

I have a 98 Isuzu rodeo with the 6 speaker system,

I have an Aiwa 45x4 Stereo/CD, I recently replaced the front speakers with some Boston 5 1/4" coaxial (in the factory front door location) they sound MUCH better than the factory ones

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I still have the factory rear and the front tweeters hooked up.

I have a few questions hope you can help me with...

1) should I disable the factory tweeters since the Bostons have 3/4 tweeters on them?

2) the Boston speakers seem to require more power (have to turn the volume to a higher number) than the factory ones did, they do get very loud though with very little distortion) Boston recommends 12-140 watts, so I guess im at the low end of the spectrum here?

3) should I leave/replace the rear (4"?) speakers with some better ones, or should I remove them all together and bridge? the stereo to the front speakers so they have more power?

4) the Bostons have some rattle/distortion at certain low bass levels they are rated at 58-20kHz with a 4ohms impendence, so I need to get a filter for the lower bass? the bass they can handle has a very nice "punch" to it.

not looking for a TON of bass, will probably add a small sub/amp in the rear for a little more punch, im more interested in a clean sound right now.

thanks for any suggestions //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Mike

Sounds like you have a good start with the system. The boston's require more power to sound good. That is why you need to turn up the vol. The are also rated to take more power. It is better to give them more than there rated power than to give them to little. With little power you need to turn the deck up more to get the sound you want and by doing that you are giving them more distortation. That is what kills speakers. As for the rattle on the low freq. make sure that the speaker is sealed around the edge. you don't want to mix the air from the front and back side. You will get alot better low end by doing that. If that still does not fix the prolbem then you need a x-over to take out the sub freq. And for keeping the factory rears and tweets, it is up to you. If the sound good to you then leave them in place. Otherwise replace them with some better ones. I ran factory rears for the longest time with no prolbem. Just for your info. you can not bridge a deck down to 2ch's. You will cook the output chip. If you need more power then add an amp. A good 4ch works just fine for the main and subs. With this setup you will not have a fader. If you need a fader them go with a 5ch amp. MTX and JL make some nice 5ch's.

Good luck and have fun.

how do I go about giving them more power, buy another head unit with more output or get a small ~200W amp to power them? any recommendations, (I need a stereo with a 1/8" input for my iPod)

I think the rattle is more air around the speakers as I have been reading a lot about that and remember some spots that are NOT air tight, I got some weather stripping & silicone tonight, I will tackle getting them sealed good & tight, I assume enough air will get in through the door? or does that not matter? or should I seal as much as possible?

Also, since the Bostons have tweets built in, do the ones in the front door (the 2nd set) draw power away from the front speakers, or is that nominal?

Thanks for the advice so-far!

Glad that you have the speakers sealed. As for x-overs, if you think you need more power then I would go with a nice amp that has a x-over built into it. You should notice a big defference when you add that. For the factory tweeters, when you add the amp it is not going to take enough power to notice any difference. I don't think you will find to many decks with a 1/8" input for any thing. You can always add a FM Mod to get an aux input.

well, since I won't be adding an amp for a while, and Id like to filter out some of those lows, what should I buy, some have said I only need a resistor to get rid of those, anyone know what kind? (all the speaker info is in the previous posts)

thanks //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

It won't be a resistor it will be a cap. I don't know what size to try. Go to you local stereo shop, they should be able to tell you what size to put in line on the positive lead at the speaker. Your going to want to get rid of the freq. below 75hz. I would try around that first. It will be a hit and miss game to play for the right sound.

its called a cap? or is there another name? there is no shop within 40miles //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif anyplace online i can buy a few to try?

thanks

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.