Need some advice on 1st fiberglass enclosure.

Participant count
  • Participant list

YearZero

So I want to make an sealed enclosure just over .5 cu ft for a single JL 10W3D4. This enclosure is going to be mounted under the fold up seat of my Silverado Crew Cab and fire down into the floor. Approx ideal dims are around 26 wide, 12 deep and around 4.5 tall. I know its not the ideal shape or place but I want to keep the ability to fold up the seat for the floor space when needed. I don't really want to build something that rests ON the floor of the cab firing up because I have two big dogs that sometimes ride back there so the idea of the sub folding up with the seat seems better.

I planed and planed and did the math every which way and making this out of 3/4 MDF would either make the box way too big and heavy or would not yield the internal volume I need for the JL.

So now my plan is to try it out of fiberglass thinking the walls would be much thinner and overall it would all be lighter. I've worked with glass before on boats but never built an enclosure.

I dont really need to "conform" to any odd shapes or anything since its going to mount to the underside of the bench which is already really flat but I do need to shape it a little on the baffle so it fits how I like.

My idea is to start off with perhaps 1/8 or 1/4 wood as a base (which is really the top of the box to be attached to underside of seat) build a 3/4 MDF baffle on posts for the sub, add form pieces as needed to make the shape I want, wrap that ALL (including the thin base material in fleece and reinforce the whole thing from the outside in fiberglass.

I know it wont be the smoothest surface but it does not really matter as I may just apply some thin carpet or paint it flat black.

Does this sound ok? Anything I should worry about when wrapping the thin base portion?

Does it seem realistic that I could get the strength I need at a much thinner wall thickness than 3/4?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.