Need some advice, help...

Participant count
  • Participant list

Juggernaut00

Hey looking to upgrade my audio system in my 08 Caddy CTS. Some what new to this, before I start buying would like to know if this system would work well:

Front door: Alpine SPR-50C component system 100 watt RMS

Rear door: Alpine SPR-50 coaxial 90 watt RMS

Woofer: Alpine SWR-10D4 10inch sub 500 watt RMS

AMP: Alpine PDX-V9 4 ohms: 100 watts x 4 chan. + 500 watts x 1 chan. RMS

And a JL Audio Cleansweep because I dont want to change the head unit.

Like to keep the system all one company and not mix n match, would this system work and be good?

There's no reason not to mix and match. Sure, have your tweeters and your mids the same, but woofer and amp can all be (and many times should be) a different company.

Do you prefer loud or do you prefer a "warmer" and more accurate reproduction? How about a rough budget figure?

For what you are planning on paying for that amp, you could easily have a mono-block to run your sub, and a good 4 channel for the speakers for much less i would think...

Are you capable (access to tools) and willing to build your own subwoofer enclosure? I'm guessing your budget is around 1200? You say trunk space is a priority, so how much space would you be willing to give up?

I was just going to buy an enclosed box for the woofer. I would prefer to have just the box in the trunk and see if the AMP could be mounted in the spare tire well because there isnt even one there just a air compressor. That way if i need serious trunk space i could unplug sub and take it out or move it to the corner of the trunk. (fishing rods thru the backseat)

I was just going to buy an enclosed box for the woofer. I would prefer to have just the box in the trunk and see if the AMP could be mounted in the spare tire well because there isnt even one there just a air compressor. That way if i need serious trunk space i could unplug sub and take it out or move it to the corner of the trunk. (fishing rods thru the backseat)
You will be MUCH happier with the sound if you have a custom box built. This is one of the MOST important areas in your system...

Do not buy a prefabricated box - enclosures are the single biggest factor in the performance of your sub-stage.

Check out the link below to see another CTS for some inspiration.

2004 Cady CTS-V Install - DIYMA Car Audio Forum

You will be MUCH happier with the sound if you have a custom box built. This is one of the MOST important areas in your system...
It is fun tag teaming with you Kat!

Theres a car audio shop right down the street I was actually going to see how much a custom built box would be that fit snug right against my back seats. Would enclosed or ported be better? Btw thanks for the fast replies and advice much appreciated from you both!

Theres a car audio shop right down the street I was actually going to see how much a custom built box would be that fit snug right against my back seats. Would enclosed or ported be better? Btw thanks for the fast replies and advice much appreciated from you both!
Not a problem. :) Most people will tell you ported. But, honestly, it's all in your final goals and about your own personal preferences. Read up on the pros and cons of each, and decide from there what YOU like best.

While the local audio shop could be great, my experience with even the "reputable" and highly rated (e.g. YELP) shops makes me think you should investigate other options. Even with shipping, you would be better off going with a box builder on this forum. You can check the vendor's section to see your options.

Are you planning to do the rest of the installation yourself?

When considering sealed vs ported, you have to determine how much trunk space you are willing to sacrifice. If you could go measure the maximum dimensions you can dedicate to the subwoofer (plus a couple extra inches on the plane which the sub is mounted, so it is not firing into your groceries/golfclubs), then we can give you better advice.

Edit: Because you want the box to sit flush against the back seat, give dimensions in the following format...

Height (From floor to rear deck lid)

Width

Depth 1: the depth (+~3" for clearance around woofer) along the floor to the base of the back seat

Depth 2: the depth (+~3" again) from the top of the seat (your height value)

You should be taking into consideration how the box will be maneuvered into the vehicle, if you build a cardboard mockup you can test to see that it will fit inside through the trunk opening.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.