Need Help!!!!

JLAudioEXTREME
10+ year member

I have two 12" jlw3's..I have had problems with them since i got them..I had to get one replaced because it blew..I then had one of them make a(BWWW) noice..Which it kinda fixed itself after I adjusted my amp..Now my right sub..is FLAPPING like hell..When the bass hits its makes a flapping noice as if something is stuck in it..I can't seem to figure the problem..Can anyone help>..Please don't say..Take it back and let them fix it....The place I got them at..Is a GOOD distance away...I have adjusted my amp..The only way I can make the noice from the right sub go away is by turning my sensitivity and subsonic filter down..then you can barely hear the system..So for right now I just turned the amp up..Still makes a flapping noice(pretty loud)..You can't hear it unless you pop the trunk and then you can hear it..It does it on volume levels suitable for the RMS for the system! PLEASE HELP!! Send PM if you want

What kind of amp do u have??? Mine use to do exactly the same thing, sounded good from inside when i open my trunk sounded like ****. When i turned the gain down it went away but like u said u could hardly hear it, I ended up buying a better amp and used the one i had for my 6x9's. I never did end up finding out why it was doing that though.... If you have your gain full way up It could be distortion which would explain u blowing your sub.

I don't know much about that amp... well I don't know anything about that amp. I am just gonna pour random ideas out some people that read this will probably just think i'm a moron for it but oh well it's the best I could come up with....

U might wanna check your wireing inside the box make sure it's all hooked up at the right impedence level. What I would do if i were u is call up the place u got it from see if they know what the problem is maybe u could fix it yourself. U got them to instal it right?? It might be worth the trip over there of course depending how far away it is. Also check what your x-over is set at, might be too high or too low and the subs aren't made to respond to those freqencies just some idea's. Well hit me back and tell me what happens!

First thing first. Have you checked the polarity on the sub and the amp? If it is out of phase it can be causing this and you have a potential to even blow the sub if you maintain listening to it like this. This problem would be my first look and probably your best bet aside from issues with the enclosure or the speaker itself. Check this and if it does not correct the problem come back and let us know how it turns out.

Aiight well i had the same problem with some of my subs and if you have messed with the amp and it doesnt help then check the suspension on the subs it may be tearing or it might not be able to handle the watts you are putting to them look at that and if any of that is messed up then you will have to get new subs

Well I have adjusted my amp..It still flaps..Not quite as bad but it still does it..Even at real low volume levels its stilld doing it..I half ass checked my box for any leaks..Couldn't seem to find any..Hard to get the box out..Its in a 95 mustang..and she's IN THERE!!..Plus where the wiring goes to the subs is under the box..Great perfect spot..Where I can't get to it..I've tried everything with the amp and it still flaps.What I don't get is something one sub will do it while the other one doesn't..I don't know what you mean by POLARITY??If you could better clarify that for me..I hate to have to go and get new subs..ALready had to go and get a new one 2 weeks ago..My 3 strikes are coming to an end..

Blake

Originally posted by JLAudioEXTREME Well I have adjusted my amp..It still flaps..Not quite as bad but it still does it..Even at real low volume levels its stilld doing it..I half ass checked my box for any leaks..Couldn't seem to find any..Hard to get the box out..Its in a 95 mustang..and she's IN THERE!!..Plus where the wiring goes to the subs is under the box..Great perfect spot..Where I can't get to it..I've tried everything with the amp and it still flaps.What I don't get is something one sub will do it while the other one doesn't..I don't know what you mean by POLARITY??If you could better clarify that for me..I hate to have to go and get new subs..ALready had to go and get a new one 2 weeks ago..My 3 strikes are coming to an end..

Blake
Bring it over tommorrow and I'll see what I can do...

Polarity. + and -. If you have the polarity incorrect or the speaker wired reverse than it should be it can cause this problem as well. Basically the sound signal is making a wave up and down and the polarity of it can matter greatly in the performance of the speaker. I am not sure if the system is wired in a parallel or series, but dependant the wiring should look like this. (Parallel; from + on amp it should then go to + on one speaker and then to + on the next speaker. The same is applied to the - lead on the amp to each of the two speakers. Series; From + on the amp runs to +on speaker one Then from - on speaker one to + on speaker two. - on speaker two then goes back to the amps - terminal)

Well guys I fixed the problem..WAHOO..lol..The tensil threads(voice coils) one of them had come loose..I re-attatched it and now the sub is doing fine...NO flapping..Its hitting harder, cleaner and just a hell of a lot better sounding

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.