Need help with stereo system

FordGuy1

Ok I have been trying to figure out what the deal is with my stereo, it has been crackling popping and cutting out. I have a Retrosounds setup in a 1978 f250. I have tried the ground wire, both of the power wires and none of those seem to be the problem as to why the speakers are crackling. The crackling only happens when the volume is in the upper levels and along with the crackling it cuts in and out and is not as loud as it usually is. Also when I push on the brake pedal sometimes the stereo gets quite and when I let off it gets louder. Please help I have spent countless hours trying to figure this out.

Id start at pulling the door panels and pull the speakers and check with a DMM(digital Multi meter) and check the ohm loads on them to see if they are good or bad,also you should be able to see if any of the surrounds are damaged or not once you pull your door panels and expose the speakers.On the Magnet there should be a sticker or an ink stamped ohm rating for the speaker to test at the correct ohm load value.You can search on You Tube for a tutorial on how to use a DMM and settings to test your speakers ohms value properly. Thats where Id start.You can also push the cone in and out slightly to see if it moves freely without any rubbing or scratching sounds to indicate that the speaker may be good or bad..If it scratches or makes a rubbing sound, more than likely the speaker is bad, but to be 100% sure, pull and check with a DMM

I originally thought it was the speakers so I tried new speakers that I had lying around and it still did the same thing so I don't know what it would be. The wires leading to the speakers are only getting around 6.8 volts if that makes a difference or not.

Hahaha no better than a chevy lol. Its just the guys before me wired this thing up goofy and im not sure what the problem is. still have not figured it out though. Would it be my speaker wires or headunit?

If I remember correctly, older ford's were common ground for speaker wiring. This would cause the problem you are experiencing. The solution would be new speaker wiring.

Sounds like the speakers or wire is grounding out. Replace wire. Pull all speakers wrap the leads with electrical tape reinstall. If scratching persists. It's the speakers most likely

okay I will try that too, but it wouldnt be the speakers because I tried new ones and the scratching continued so it might just be the wires I'm hoping.

I rewired the speakers and it is still muffled. would my head unit be bad or is it still something to do with the wires because I tried new speakers and that didnt work either.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.