need help with electrical upgrade

Participant count
  • Participant list

talk

CarAudio.com Newbie
I am currently running a sundown u15 on a saev3 1500. stock electrical... I plan to upgrade to a second u15 and probably a sfb4k. I was looking at a headway lithium 15ah bank. I'm just wondering what size alternator I should get. I was looking at a 320 amp... would that be enough? with my stock I have a136 amp. the 1500 causes dimming. vehicle is a 2001 dodge dakota 4.7. also may add 4 channel for mids and highs. so would be at about 5k total. any help is appreciated. thank you

I think 320a is near the top output. Certainly custom or second alt is an option. I’d be sure the big 3+ is in place prior to a new alternator. From what I’ve gathered here battery capacity seems to be key in ho systems. I’m in that rabbit hole now trying to see the daylight 😉

I am currently running a sundown u15 on a saev3 1500. stock electrical... I plan to upgrade to a second u15 and probably a sfb4k. I was looking at a headway lithium 15ah bank. I'm just wondering what size alternator I should get. I was looking at a 320 amp... would that be enough? with my stock I have a136 amp. the 1500 causes dimming. vehicle is a 2001 dodge dakota 4.7. also may add 4 channel for mids and highs. so would be at about 5k total. any help is appreciated. thank you

I would suggest getting a bigger alternator if possible, nothing wrong with going bigger, second 15ah go bigger, more battery reserves the better imo. in my experience people rarely stop small they always want bigger and bigger least you than will be prepared for future usage. More reserve would be more efficient for the amp to deliver, and less voltage drop

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...