need help with CDT tweeters

Shouse94
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
So long story short, I split my tweeter in half (POS mounting brackets) and it be done. CDT techs won't/can't fix it b/c it's so old, ES-100. I have the older ES-620's, with the yellow cone.

They offered a replacement program and quoted me these prices for the following tweets:

Model: DRT-25 @ $69.00/pr.

Model:TW-25 @ $49.00/pr.

DRT-26 for $89.99/pr

I'm currently leaning more towards the DRT-26, aluminum. What do you all think? Prices being considered as well. I don't necessarily need an upgrade from the ES-100 that I previously had but I would like to spend my money wisely. Sound like decent deals? What would you do? aluminum a good choice? thanks.

well, i had the jl aluminum tweeters at one point. i found them to be quite clear but also quite harsh most of the time, even being tuned down almost all the way.

I have the BCK-26As, which are just the DRT-26A(luminiums)s with the braxial mount, & I love em'. I had the DRT-25s before & the DRT-26As are definitely an upgrade that's worth the price difference IMHO.

The aluminium DRTs have great detail & are nonfatiguing w/o being soft or too layed back. I've heard others say they were too bright for their taste, but I would bet their install (ie, combfilters/reflections) contributed to that conclusion. IMO they are the perfect balance between the traits typically associated w/ soft & hard domes.

well, i had the jl aluminum tweeters at one point. i found them to be quite clear but also quite harsh most of the time, even being tuned down almost all the way.
Well I'm sure JL aluminum and CDT aluminum are incomparable.

I have the BCK-26As, which are just the DRT-26A(luminiums)s with the braxial mount, & I love em'. I had the DRT-25s before & the DRT-26As are definitely an upgrade that's worth the price difference IMHO.The aluminium DRTs have great detail & are nonfatiguing w/o being soft or too layed back. I've heard others say they were too bright for their taste, but I would bet their install (ie, combfilters/reflections) contributed to that conclusion. IMO they are the perfect balance between the traits typically associated w/ soft & hard domes.
Appreciate the comment. I read DJdilliodon comment that he liked the DRT-26a the best out of all the CDT tweeters. I figure the extra $20 is worth it.

Why not look around at other tweeters? Like seas

you can find a better sounding tweeer for around the same price.

There best sounding is the es010, which sounds good, but not as good as rainbows, hertz, peerless,seas,ID, etc....

Yesi have used cdt tweeters in the past & yes they can be harsh.

Why not look around at other tweeters? Like seasyou can find a better sounding tweeer for around the same price.

There best sounding is the es010, which sounds good, but not as good as rainbows, hertz, peerless,seas,ID, etc....

Yesi have used cdt tweeters in the past & yes they can be harsh.

vehicel? how was the install? passive active? crossover points? which tweeters? which mid bass?

^^^

I did passive & active with the drt25 & es010, es620 mids.

Those mids I hated yes hated.

The drt25 are harsh for a soft dome.

I have used seas, peerless,vifa, Polk, JL, Boston pro new & older moldels, Phoenix gold, mb quarts-older, morel, dynaudio tweeters, but now I have a pair of phase technology which invented the soft dome tweeter.

those es01 are made buy vifa, I'm not sure who made those mids.

The tonality sound nice, not great but nice.

They lacked lower midbass & yes my doors are well sealed with dynaxorb behind the mids, I do have the newer 2009 es-6 which is nice sounding mid, but I'm always looking for the best mids for a 2way

I use raw drivers now, I would never spend my money on company again that has someone else make there speakers for them, then add a markup

I like playing with active & passive setups.

^^^I did passive & active with the drt25 & es010, es620 mids. 2 sets of tweets? Why?...I think you might be referring to the ES-600 mids, as there's no such 620

Those mids I hated yes hated. Strong feelings for a mid that isn't all that much dissimilar from the ES-6 (which you state is a "nice sounding mid")//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

The drt25 are harsh for a soft dome. I'd blame the install. They are anything but harsh, much too soft for my taste

I have used seas, peerless,vifa, Polk, JL, Boston pro new & older moldels, Phoenix gold, mb quarts-older, morel, dynaudio tweeters, but now I have a pair of phase technology which invented the soft dome tweeter.

those es01 are made buy vifa, I'm not sure who made those mids. My guess would be CDT made those mids //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif Just because the HD & ES mid share the same Vifa basket doesn't make them rebadged

The tonality sound nice, not great but nice.

They lacked lower midbass & yes my doors are well sealed with dynaxorb behind the mids, I do have the newer 2009 es-6 which is nice sounding mid, but I'm always looking for the best mids for a 2way

I use raw drivers now, I would never spend my money on company again that has someone else make there speakers for them, then add a markup Again, rebadged & Vifa based are not the same thing

I like playing with active & passive setups. I like bacon//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/yumyum.gif.0556df42231b304b9c995aefd13928a8.gif
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/boink.gif.91933e72f927f2cefc79aff02573090c.gif

ya im sure you are right. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif
Not really sure if there was a sarcastic tone in there or not...

Anyways, I placed an order for the DRT-26's aluminum. Hopefully it's worth the price.

Not really sure if there was a sarcastic tone in there or not...Anyways, I placed an order for the DRT-26's aluminum. Hopefully it's worth the price.
haha, no sarcasm. just realized what i said after i said it. there probably is no comparison whatsoever

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.