Need help upgrading sub. Powerful enough?

Participant count
  • Participant list

xgame

PA
I currently have a single Kicker comp 12 running at 150w rms in my custom ported box. It's the only sub I've ever had, so to me, its slams! But now I'm wanting to upgrade.

I just bought an audiopipe APSM-1300 amp, which pushes 1000w RMS 1 ohm, and was originally going to get 2 Kicker CVRs. But everywhere I look, people are saying the Alpine type R's are a much better buy.

So here's the question. Will my amp be powerful enough to power 2 Type R's. They are rated 1000w RMS each, but I will be pushing only 500w each. Will that be enough to make them pound?

So would you say it would be better to stick with the Kickers (400w rms)? Or maybe even the Alpine Type S (500w rms)?

So would you say it would be better to stick with the Kickers (400w rms)? Or maybe even the Alpine Type S (500w rms)?
depends on your power and goals , you can do a pair of lower powered subs if needed or wanted .but the problem there lies ,if you decide to go even bigger down the road , then you will have to start all over again .with a sub that takes more power ,like i said it can get very loud ,and if you decide later you want more , then just change the amp and add another of the same sub.

Mylows, sell him an XFL! OP, American Bass is the way to go. Give an American Bass XFL in a custom ported box a chance, you'll never run a kicker sub again

ok last questions. would you say going with the type R's would still hit harder than my current Kicker comp 12? And If I were to eventually upgrade the amp to 2000w, would that be stressful on a car's stock battery and alternator? I already have a 2 farad cap.

ok last questions. would you say going with the type R's would still hit harder than my current Kicker comp 12? And If I were to eventually upgrade the amp to 2000w, would that be stressful on a car's stock battery and alternator? I already have a 2 farad cap.
Ok get rid of the cap. Get a big 3 kit .Works better. The xfl will and is a better sub than the type r. Also will take a lot more power than the type.r. But also rated at 1000 rms What car ? Any electrical upgrades ?

you can probably do a single type R in a medium box with that or two type Rs in an over sized efficient box like a Transmission wave line enclosure but that would be more trouble than its worth since T line boxes are a b1tch to design. Why not go with a single 15 with that 1000 rms? much better alternative, gets loud, no need for electrical upgrades and only need to buy a single sub. Get the XFL 15s.

it's only an 03 buick lasabre, no upgrades. i'm not planning on uprooting trees, just looking to get something that hits harder than my single kicker. So I'm thinking I should stick with subs closer to 500w rms.

Yes you can do that also you should be able to run 1500-2000 rms on a stock electrical if done right Another option is the dc level 2 subs or the sundown sa subs. But all the subs we have told you about are much better than the alpines at the same price point to

you can probably do a single type R in a medium box with that or two type Rs in an over sized efficient box like a Transmission wave line enclosure but that would be more trouble than its worth since T line boxes are a b1tch to design. Why not go with a single 15 with that 1000 rms? much better alternative, gets loud, no need for electrical upgrades and only need to buy a single sub. Get the XFL 15s.
I wish i could now, but I've already built a box for dual 12s lol.

Budget for subs ?
No more than $150 for each. $100 each would be optimal. I'm not looking for top of the line stuff, just something better than what I already got. That's why Im looking at kicker and alpine

No more than $150 for each. $100 each would be optimal. I'm not looking for top of the line stuff, just something better than what I already got. That's why Im looking at kicker and alpine
I can put you into some better subs than the alpines or kickers for 150 each

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.