Need help upgrading electrical (alt, bats, grounds)

Participant count
  • Participant list

djulz93
10+ year member

chicago
Hey guys, I'm still waiting on my sundown x-12 d2, so I figured I might as well get a jump on the rest of my build. I have a 2007 pontiac g6 3.5L, currently everything stock. I already have one run of kolossus flex 1/0, and will be adding at least on more, as well as doing my big 3 in the same wire. I'm gonna be running at least 2k daily on that sub, and have gotten quotes on alternators.. However, a mechman rep told me I should be alright with a 170 amp (my stock is 125). Singer told me that I should have at least a 250 amp alt. what would you recommend? And I will be buying 2 xs batteries, a d-1200 for under the hood (only one that'll fit apparently) and the most likely a d3100 in the trunk. Would you also recommend grounding the amp back to the battery? I've heard it's better than just grounding in the trunk. If anyone can provide some solution to my situation it would be great. Thanks guys:D

Overkill on the alt is always best

Isolater might be needed for mismatched batts if you have one weak batt it can bring em all down

I went over kill on alt and added a bigger batt under hood

If I ever want to upgrade amp or amps I won't have to change a lot of things

Spend that batt money on the alt. it's the starting point of a system

But then I'm the type who might want to play at full tilt for a hour or so

You know like get out of ur ride at a party- get together

Batts can only do so much then they have discharged if your alt can't handle the flow of amps from the start.

Thanks man, the mechman rep said he can get me a 270 for cheap, so I think I'm gonna jump on that. I just hate how I can only fit a small azz xs under my hood, even tho on their website it says I can fit the 3100 I think. (I'd have to modify the compartment then)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.