need help.Speakers cutting off.

Participant count
  • Participant list

sicilianiggy

nj
WatWatch "Cut off" on YouTube

I got Rockford punch 100wx4 setup with rear alpine and front component6-1/2 Component System (INFINITY PERFT61)

Before this I had other speakers and I ended up blowing then becuase I played with the gain. But anyway im kind of familiar with car audio but the very basics.

My problem is if the last 2 settings on the radio eq are set over half , the amp goes in protection mode past 17 on the volume. If its under half I can blast the music. Those 2 settings actually make the music sound a lot better when set almost max.

Heres 2 vids showing amp setting and radio cutting off as I play with eq.

I really need somebody who thinks they can diagnose this to help me thru it and il be posting results as you guys suggest things to do. I had someone that has a electronic shop test the amp and he said its good. He didn't wanna test the speakers cause he said the crossover s had to be disconnected to test properly.

The place I had put the speakers in, about a year ago, said its the amp without testing it but the speakers before these didn't cut off. So I just stopped going there. I think the guy was annoyed cause I had a lot of **** in the car. Please guys help me out.

Whats your amp grounded too??Remote wire loose? setting on input voltage from HU to amp??Any loose wires on the speakers?Exposed wiring on the speakers grounding out on the metal framing?terminals? Check all wiring on amp make sure secured,as well as power wiring from the supply.

What are your speakers?Model#? Ohm value.Sometimes its easy to place the poss and negative terminals wrong on the amp when installing and not paying attention or in a rush,will make it cut in and out,or go into protect as well.Ive been guilty more than my share..lol..Clipping stage cranking it up as well to where that amp shuts down safely.

You can pull the speakers out and test with a DMM to see if they are reading the proper ohm load.Easy to do
Ok so after I posted this I went to my car and did some tests but with no meter. I basically turned down gain and frequency all the way down on the amp, took out front and rear Rca jacks on the amp, turned everything up on the radio eq. Now what I found was with the right rear Rca jack unplugged the speakers dont cut off. Had radio blasted gain turned to half maybe a little more. On a certain type of music, more hip hop, when I plug that Rca jack back in the speakers will cut off. With like guns and roses or something like rnb it wasn't cutting out.

Now tomorrow im gonna test the ohms like you said. The speakers are 4 ohms each. I have a fluke digital meter. Do all I have to do is put it on ohms and put the leads across positive and negitive and am I supposed to get exactly 4 ohms? What else would I check besides loose connections while I have the door panel off?

I appreciate ur help dude. Ive been putting this off for over a year. Thanks a lot.

Whats your amp grounded too??Remote wire loose? setting on input voltage from HU to amp??Any loose wires on the speakers?Exposed wiring on the speakers grounding out on the metal framing?terminals? Check all wiring on amp make sure secured,as well as power wiring from the supply.
Amp I believe is grounded under the seat to a seatbelt screw, not positive cause I had it installed. Remote wire on amp is not loose. input voltage not sure but its a pioneer p 1400 dvd player. All wire are secure on amp. Tomorrow il test voltage coming in with meter.

Amp I believe is grounded under the seat to a seatbelt screw, not positive cause I had it installed. Remote wire on amp is not loose. input voltage not sure but its a pioneer p 1400 dvd player. All wire are secure on amp. Tomorrow il test voltage coming in with meter.
Oh hell, I didnt notice you had a Pioneer deck??You may have blown the PICO fuse in that joker,in which are common error while swapping amps/speakers ect when powered up.There is a thread on here somewhere/search about Pioneer decks and PICO fuse issues.READ Upon that..You may even be able to google it up by now due to all the issues past couple years.You Tube settings on the DMM be easier to see, and tutorial for you.Rather than explaining.You will not get an exact 4ohm reading on every speaker,be close to it though.Anything below 3.4 Id be concerned about

You may be able to fix the head unit yourself.Id also scratch away the paint and sealent around where the ground wiring is,and use a washer on bottom,and the the ground wire terminal,then another washer,then place the bolt back in.It should be a fairly decent ground in most cases.I like to use the spare tire lug nut in the trunk myself.

Oh hell, I didnt notice you had a Pioneer deck??You may have blown the PICO fuse in that joker,in which are common error while swapping amps/speakers ect when powered up.There is a thread on here somewhere/search about Pioneer decks and PICO fuse issues.READ Upon that..You may even be able to google it up by now due to all the issues past couple years.You Tube settings on the DMM be easier to see, and tutorial for you.Rather than explaining.You will not get an exact 4ohm reading on every speaker,be close to it though.Anything below 3.4 Id be concerned about
A blown PICO Fuse will not force the AMP into protection mode.

If you pull out one rca and its all good then you have bad rca's or a bad ground.

A blown PICO Fuse will not force the AMP into protection mode.
If you pull out one rca and its all good then you have bad rca's or a bad ground.
Not saying that the PICO causes the amp to go into protect sir/maam..Yet it does indicate that by turning the volume up and down, and cutting in and out, that it is possible that the PICO fuse is an issue /possibly an issue as well as the other issue I suggested to check first.It could very well be a combination all together:eyebrow:

Not saying that the PICO causes the amp to go into protect sir/maam..Yet it does indicate that by turning the volume up and down, and cutting in and out, that it is possible that the PICO fuse is an issue /possibly an issue as well as the other issue I suggested to check first.It could very well be a combination all together:eyebrow:
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif didn't mean to put you on the spot mybad. Yeah i re-read your post and saw that :p

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif didn't mean to put you on the spot mybad. Yeah i re-read your post and saw that :p
Just trying to give some advice on what I know without being present,and hands on,to come to some sort of conclusion for the issues presented.I don't know everything,and don't mind learning by any means.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I appreciate u guys helping. I took out the headunit once and when I put it back the video didn't play anymore while driving. I had to bring it to the car place n they fixed it. What do I need to do when I unplug the unit and plug it back in to be able to play video while driving?

I appreciate u guys helping. I took out the headunit once and when I put it back the video didn't play anymore while driving. I had to bring it to the car place n they fixed it. What do I need to do when I unplug the unit and plug it back in to be able to play video while driving?
LOL..I don't have an answer for that one sir..LOL..

Ok thanks. One thing I forgot to mention is I noticed , when I plugged in that rear right rca jack and the speakers cut off I didn't see the protection mode light go on but the speakers still cut off. That happened 2 or 3 times. Thats the only time I noticed the light not going on , usually that protection mode light illuminates.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.