Need Help Selecting Amp(s)

captaintiger

I have a custom enclosure with two phoenix gold 10 inch subs. Each sub is rated 200 rms and is 4 ohms. The subs are currently wired in parallel. I also have 2 polk front door speaks rated at 100 rms at 4 ohms.

I need an amp recommendation. I'm not interested in a specific recommendation, just what basic setup I should get. Do I need a mono amp for the subs and a 2 channel amp for the fronts? Or, do I get 2 channel for the subs and a 2 channel for the fronts? What power rating for each?

Do the subs need a stable 1 ohm amp? My understanding is that the two subs together haave an impedance of 2 ohms. One last factor. I have very limited space (2 seater) so I would prefer a single amp to do both tasks if possible

Not an audio genius. Thanks, Captain

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you. So this would provide the following in my setup:

Power Specifications - Full Range Channels

RMS Power @ 4 ohms 50 watts x 2 channels (fronts)

Power Specifications - Subwoofer Channel

RMS Power @ 4 ohms 350 watts x 1 channels

RMS Power @ 2 ohms 500 watts x 1 channels

Thank you. So this would provide the following in my setup:
Power Specifications - Full Range Channels

RMS Power @ 4 ohms 50 watts x 2 channels (fronts)

Power Specifications - Subwoofer Channel

RMS Power @ 4 ohms 350 watts x 1 channels

RMS Power @ 2 ohms 500 watts x 1 channels

Don't look so much at power ratings. You will never see what the amp is rated at. You don't run a 0db tone at full volume on a test bench powering a resister. The more power you have available the better. The real question is what's your budget and are you going to treat the install or just stick them in? You can have the best speakers and more power than you would ever use, if the install is not good it won't sound good.

I would only, "stick it in" at closing time...and feeling desperate. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Really my concern here is making sure not to under-power and i do not know if 50 watts RMS is enough for speakers rated at 100 watts RMS. Budget 300 to 500.

I would only, "stick it in" at closing time...and feeling desperate. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Really my concern here is making sure not to under-power and i do not know if 50 watts RMS is enough for speakers rated at 100 watts RMS. Budget 300 to 500.
Every time you turn the volume down or listen to music that's not a total bass line you are underpowering.

The jbl amp has been touted as quite under rated. Known to be very clean. But with your budget, I'd ask your friend here (noloud4u) if he might be willing to sell you his jl 450/4. He bought a new fiesta and took all the stuff out of his old car //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif jl seems like less power but it's a constant power amplifier that has its rewards.

I would run the subs off one amp and the mids off another. As stated in another reply, you will never see the actual RMS ratings on an amp, so don't worry so much about power ratings. What is the ohm load of the two subs? Get a 500w Class D mono block, assuming you have a 1ohm load, will power the subs nicely. Then you can get a 100w, 2 ch. or a 200w, 4ch. for your mids. I can suggest a good amp if I know if the speakers are dual or single voice coil and what ohm they are.

Just seems strange to run subs and mids off the same amp..... A class D mono will push them 10's better than any 4ch. I would imagine. Not saying one amp couldn't do an alright job, just an unusual setup in my opinion.

The jbl amp has been touted as quite under rated. Known to be very clean. But with your budget, I'd ask your friend here (noloud4u) if he might be willing to sell you his jl 450/4. He bought a new fiesta and took all the stuff out of his old car //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif jl seems like less power but it's a constant power amplifier that has its rewards.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rotflol.gif.b453361716769b8110ddefc85ff03cd2.gif

Glad that caught on LOL

IF your headunit processing signal is strong enough then 50 watts would totally be fine and get plenty loud and clear. 50 watts from a JBL is completely different from 50 watts from a junky company.

Why would a class d push them better? What is the difference between a class d at 400 to 500 watts? And a bridged 2/4 channel at 400 watts? The jl specifically being a constant power amplifier, should perform better.

Yes, but a JL 500.1D would out perform the JL 4ch, more efficient, geared more towards subwoofer applications, rather than component. Now the JL 4ch. would probably out perform a Boss monoblock or some other cheapo.... I guess there can't be that many holes poked in the 4 channel theory per say, other than efficiency but it still seems strange to me. I mean, how many setups are around with the mids and subs running off the same amp? lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.