Need help; Radio not powering up after new install

Stormhaven

New to car audio install but I am a very capable mechanic/builder. I recently finished installing as new HU (Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS) in a 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix. This is wired using the GMOS-01 wire harness. Using the preamp outputs connects to an Alpine PDX-F4 4-channel amp. New wiring then connects the new amp to the Alpine Type-R Series 6.5" spr-60c up front and 6x9 Alpine SPR-69 in the rear.

On start up the car does not power the radio up. The light to the amp doesn't turn on either, this I'm assuming is due to the lack of power to the remote wire from the radio. I have checked the fuses, one on the radio itself and the other on the passenger side door fuse box.

What I need is a way to start limiting my possible causes. I have a multimeter but I'm not sure the best way to check to see if wires are hot with out starting to cut them and I really don't want to start hacking up the harnesses.

Also on my GMOS-01 harness I noticed two red 12V wires coming out of the of the wire harness that gets connected to the radio. The factory instructions have no mention of a second red wire. I used the second red wire to connect power my optional MLH adapter for my phone...not sure if this has anything to do with this.

Lastly there are 2 other wires not mentioned in the GMOS-01 instructions. One is solid orange the other is orange/white striped. Something about accessory lighting is written on them but the other half of the harness (radio side) is what the radio's accessory wire splices into. Doubtful this has anything to do with powering up the radio but worth mentioning anything at this point.

If anyone has any ideas to help me recover my car please chime in.

Thanks in advance,

-Hoplessly lost

Use a dam and check to see you have 12v at the red wire with the car on, also make sure you have the black well grounded

---------- Post added at 05:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

Dmm.... digital multi meter..... dang autocorrect

Black is grounded through the existing black ground wire. Other posts had said this is acceptable. As for the DMM; I have an analog (needle type) but as I'm new at this I have yet to get a reading.....do I need to cut the wire to connect? The harness ends are too small to fit the poss cable into the holes.

i believe you may need that solid orange wire for your accessory wire. i didnt think it was important, until i realized without it my HU would light up but it wouldnt work. after the orange wire was hooked up it was good. so try messing with that orange wire a bit

I had the same problem, and it was a matter of de-magnetizing the deck. Turn the acc on in the car and touch the ground to the ground screw on the deck. I sat for two days trying to figure it out. It was hell. Hope this helps!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.