Need help putting together a system

crazyeye

Hi. I need some help with a car stereo upgrade. I recently purchased a 1998 BMW 750il. While the stock stereo is pretty bad, it is all integrated into the onboard computer/navigation system, etc. so changing it really isn't an option. My plan is to change everything up to the head unit. Here is the equipment that I currently have:

Focal Utopia 136w 5.25 components speakers (http://www.focal.tm.fr/gb/car/utopia/136w.htm)

MB Quartz QM215.61 5.25 components speakers (http://www.mbquart.com/en_US/products/prod_detail.asp?isArchive=&cat=auto&series=q%20series&strt=1&model=QM+215%2E61Q)

xtant x603 - 600 watt 3 channel amp (http://www.xtant.com/html/products/X603.cfm)

I still need a subwoofer and I'm trying to decide between 1 JL Audio 12w7 or 1 10w7 or 2 10w6.

Finally, I'm trying to decide the best way to power this system. Can I use the xtant x603 to power the entire system? Will that be enough power for the subs? I'm a bit confused by how a 3 channel amp works and how different ohm settings result in different power outputs. The Xtant site says I can do 150x2, 300x1 at 2 ohms. I think the MB Quarts will only run at 4 ohms so, uhm, what does that mean exactly? Am I best off using the Xtant amp to power the focals up front and the sub and get something else for the rears? Should I use the Xtant for the front and rears and get something else for the sub? Should I use the xtant just to power the subs and get something else for the front and rear? Should I just sell the xtant and get a different amp or amp combination? If so, what would be ideal? My impression is that the focals need a lot of power. Also, am I better off putting the focals up front and the MB Quarts in the rear? Am I making a mistake by limiting my sub choices to those I mentioned? Is there something better I might consider? Finally, (last question, I promise) any suggestions as to how I can find someone who really knows what they are doing to install all this? I live in central NJ (near freehold). I'm sorry if these are ridiculous questions. I'm new to this stuff.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help out.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/banghead.gif.8606515f668c74f6de0281deb475b6fd.gif

ok...

now, you already have the 3 things listed in your post? also, i'm postive your going to need to get at least one more amplifier...b/c that amp can't power the subs well at all! so let me know...exactly what u have, and how much money ur willing to spend. and then people can ehlp ya out a lot easier. peace

NG

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I currently have the MB Quart component speakers, the focal speakers and the xtant amp.

I still need to figure out what sub to use (I'm leaning towards either a JL 12w7, a 10w7 or 2x 10w6's)

I've been told by some that the xtant would be sufficient to power the system but I'm skeptical. So if I need additional amplification, what is the best way for me to utilize the xtant amp (600watt x 3 channels)? Also, would I just be better off trying to sell the xtant amp and starting from scratch as far as amplification goes? I got a really great deal on it. I'd like to use it if I can but I don't want to just force it in there cause I have it if you know what I mean.

One other issue that I didn't mention in the previous posting: Is there any way for me to add either XM radio or Sirrius to this setup without doing FM modulation? If I am limited to FM Mod what can I expect as far as sound quality? Is it like listening to FM radio or more like a CD? I thought there were some sort of converters out there that would let you get a direct signal.

Thanks again!

Yeah dont get one 3 chanal to power a hole system //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nono.gif.eca61d170185779e0921b0faa9704973.gif

Id say go with one 10w7 or 12 and get a BEtter Audio 1600.1 to power it.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Justin

Hey CrazyEye, hows it going?

If you want to use both your component speakers, I am assuuming you will be putting a pair in the back for rear fill, no problem with that. I would put the Focal components up front, because I tend to like the sound of them a little bit better.

I would say that you may want to sell your xtant amp....and get a 4 channel amp for your component speakers.. at about 70-80 watts RMS x 4.

Finally, for your sub(s), depending on which sub(s) you decide to go with, you can properly choose your sub amp......if you decide t ogo with the w7....I would suggest an amp that puts out about 800-900 watts RMS.....and also a class D amplifier to increase the efficiency *sp* of the amplifier..

Once you decide on your sub(s) let us know and many people on the board will be more than happy to help you out.

P e a c e

k h i

you sound like you have a pretty nice system. I would put the focal at front stage, the sound clarity is enormous. Focal has an odd number ohms and is quite difficult to integrate. Of course as anyone here agree's I'm sure if you want spl, the w7 has proved itself if those are the subs you are looking at. Amps, if you are looking at a good amp and you have money (which it seems like you do) mccintosh has the power I can see a guy like you requiring.

Thanks so much for the responses thus far. Here is a scenario I'm strongly considering. Let me know all your thoughts....

I think I'll sell the xtant x603 amp and get an xtant x604 4 channel amp instead and use that for the components. I'm thinking for the subs maybe I'd get 2x10w6 and power it with an xtant x1001 mono block amp (I believe it is 500 w at 4 ohms and 1000 at 2). I'm still a bit torn as to whether I'd be better off with one w7 or 2 w6's. Thoughts on that? I've been told that this model 750 is really tough to get bass in - something to do with a steel plate in the rear. I'm not sure how much creedence i give that though as the guy who told me that also told me that the w7's were not very good nor was xtant. When I pressed him on his reasoning all he would say is "sound quality" like it was some arcane phrase that I never heard of and couldn't comprehend the meaning of. "Why do you like the w6's better than the w7's?" "Oh, it's something known as sound - quality". Unfortunately he was a very reputable BMW installer in the area. Kind of pompous if you know what I mean.

Do you think the xtant x604 is a good choice for the money or is there a better sounding one for he same $$$ or less? Same questions vis a vis the w7's. Is there something better out there that would work in this application that I haven't mentioned.

Thanks again for taking the time to read my long winded queries.

ok, now u've opened up another entire world as far as selections goes. I thought u might have been set with the brand products u had mentioned. Ok, your components are great. i agree that you should sell the xtant amp. For the components i recommend a US Acoustics amp. I am not sure of the RMS ratings on those components, but either the USX4065 or the USX4085. Respectively they are 4x65 and 4x85. As far as subs go, The W7 is a great sub, but i just believe that there are better subs out there for the $$$. I recommend 1 12" Brahma. As for the amp, that is up to you...but depending on the money could range from a JBL 1200.1 to a Zapco. But, those are my suggestions as far as your system goes. I am definetly convinced that is what u should do as far as components, but the sub is up to u. If u are willing to spend that much money for a W7, but i believe the brahm is better for the money. (and it has amazing SQ, while still having loudness) peace

NG

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.