Need help on my system.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Davecubs14
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Madison, AL
1. Ok, I built a box for my 2 Memphis PR 12s. 3.8 cu. ft. Ported, tuned to 33~34.

I love it to death on rap songs because it hits so hard and flexes my whole car. I listen to rock music as much as rap, though, it doesn't sound good on most rock songs, and all metal music. So I was thinking of re-tuning it, you think if I go up to 35~36, it would be a good mix for rap and rock? And I would notice a difference?

2. Another thing is "breaking in" the subs. Been playing them for a while now, I have a Memphis 500.1 on them. I don't want to push them to the limit and destroy them, but I only have the amp turned up maybe.....1/15 of the way up and i'm flexing the subs real good, you think if I turn up the amp another notch, it would break them? thanks.

you should set the gain properly with a multimeter

and I don't think a subs "break in" period has ever been proven to be real. I've never "broken in" my subs and have never had one fail on me.

you should set the gain properly with a multimeter
and I don't think a subs "break in" period has ever been proven to be real. I've never "broken in" my subs and have never had one fail on me.
Subs, just like speakers, 'break in'. After a driver breaks in, it becomes more efficient and gets louder. However, you can blare a new driver full blast and it won't damage it. I haven't researched it, so I can't tell you for sure what breaks in, but I'm assuming it's the voice coil heating up and taking the proper shape.

So, WANG THAT ISH, MENG!

As for the tuning, it depends. Fi Q's are balanced around 34, while other subs have different balanced frequencies.

But, I'd say around 35-38

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.