Need help on fuses please!

Participant count
  • Participant list

Babbar Khalsa
10+ year member

Hey everyone i am new, doing a big setup with a 250 amp alt and 2 yellow top batteries powering 2 audio q 2200 amps. I wanted to know how big of a fuse do i need. I want to be able to power all my equipment with sufficient power and not fry it or over load it. My trucks electrical system goes from alt to fuse box to battery what could happen to my appliances such as lights if i were not to have a fuse in between from the alt to fuse block? where do i need fuses in my setup? Also Will the regulator in the alternator decide how much power is being supplied to the other appliances?

Thanks! Your help is highly appreciated

the regulator is there so you can adjust your voltage, yeah

for the 1/0 runs you wanna use some nice OFC, no cheaping out. fusing should be like 250a

Ok so 250A fuse should be connecting to what? Alt to fuse block?
the chances of you shorting something will be at the rear of the vehicle where youre working with the amps. the amps are hooked up to your yellow tops, which are hooked up to the front battery. so your only concern is to fuse the wire from the front bat to the rear bats. i dont know about rear bats to amp

i dont know about rear bats to amp
IASCA rules indicate a fuse within 18" of a battery. You may not be trying to compete or anything like that, BUT the rules are there to protect the people and the equipment, so use them as a guideline. Any line that leaves a battery should have a fuse in it, near the battery. The fuse will not increase current, reduce voltage, or put a strain on anything (so long as it is properly sized and installed), so adding a little layer of protection for your equipment is a good thing.

Although the amps have there own fuses, unless the run is VERY short from the battery to the amps, I'd fuse the rear batteries too. Pinching a large gauge battery cable can lead to a massive rush of current that leads to cool things right before it ends with bad things. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.