need help on compacitor

Folly
10+ year member

ok i have everything and know everything else i just need to know stuff abuot the compacitor casue i have never used one. im running a full volfenhag system and sub wise i have 4 12"inch comp subs and im using 2 1600 watt 2 Ch amps so i running 1 amp to every 2 subs and i was gona get 2 10-24V max compacitors (one for each amp) and i need to know if that is 2 much for a 1600 watt amp or if it will work just right or what casue i dont wanna fry anything such as a amp or sub and i def dont wanna catch my car on fire so just let me know. thanks

well for one the capacitor really has nothing to do w/ frying anything. a caps job is to hold a bit of electric charge and send it to the amps during peak bass for the subs. for instance if you had your headlights on in the dark, your system turned on w/ out any caps and a big bass not hit you would notice a slight dim in your lights. thats due from the bass pulling electic from the car to hit that note. if you had caps, the light wouldnt dim, b/c when you charge the cap it holds a bit of electrical power for thise big bass notes. keep in mine for every 500watts you need a .5 cap. not everyone uses them though. hope that helps and made a bit of sense i tried to explin the best i know.

ok all i want to know is one thing.....im not a newbie the only thing i dont know is stuff about is compacitors........these max at 24 volts......im runing two 1600 watt amps......i dont wanna drain my battery......so should i use one and wire both amps to it or should i use 2 one for each amp what would work good so i have enough power for my amps but done drain my car batter and kill it........can someone please help me out. thanks

well if you wanted myself in your shoes id use 1 or even 2 caps for each amp..but realy the money your spending on those caps youde more than better off savin alil more and get a h/o alt...for now ide do the Big 3 and go from there..realy caps theyre kinda like a band aid for a wound that wont stop bleeding

hope that helps

how much trouble/money will it cost me to upgrade the alt. and also would that make a diff i mean i was just thinking about running like one power cap to each amp

depends on what kinda vehical you have and if you have a good mechanical skills or know someone who does..i got 175 amp for my jeep but they sent me the wrong one so im still in the process of gettin the right one and that cost me like around 350.00 but you could check out the alt.sticky on the top of this forum to get some more info.. aswell a couple places to buy a bigger alt...in the long and realy even the shorter run youde be better off gettin a h/o alt.

well then i would rather run one power cap to each amp like i had planned casue that will only cost me about 100 bucks or somehitng like that.....i dont have the extra cash to spend much more i have already done enough........but do u think that will work ok??? casue like i said i just dont wanna kill my battery so u think one to each amp would be cool (both 1600watt amps and both caps max at 24 volts)

do you have a car key in your ear ? caps are worthless upgrade your wire under the hood big 3 and if you want to waste money buy caps

it's like ignoring a gun shot wound to the head while putting a band aid on the patients hang nail

ok all i want to know is one thing.....im not a newbie the only thing i dont know is stuff about is compacitors........these max at 24 volts......im runing two 1600 watt amps......i dont wanna drain my battery.....
im sorry but i think that it just needs to be said that if youwerent a newbie you would know that there is such thing as a "compacitor", they are called capacitors. and you would also know that if your car is only producing 14.4v they arent going to charge to 24v, and that most of the strain is going to be on your alt, not your battery...

and to re-iterate, caps are useless. spend the $25(max) on wire and upgrade the big three. if you do a search you will find several how-to's, this is something you can do for very little money and it will help out alot more than caps. if you still have issues, try a battery upgrade or a HO alt.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.