Need help. Issues. Novice enthusiast. Pioneer dual chan amp.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Bagnon

Hey Guys.

First off, I'm kind of novice when it comes to car audio installation. I can do the basic stuff but some issues occurred regarding some subwoofers, and an amp, I own.

I purchased a refurbished Pioneer GM-5500T dual-chan amp and "killed" 2 Pioneer subs (3 if you include one was warrantied.) A TS-W254R and a TS-W206S4 both 10". They both worked for a brief period but eventually died. During these times I got a weird smell. I'm sure it's a common smell. One that that occurs when not doing something correctly, causing failures. For the 3rd sub (brand new warrantied), I cut off the inline fuse holder and eliminated the sub box leads, directly connecting the sub to the amp. Set all amp settings to their lowest. Still died. Cabling is quality. Battery is new. Alternator working fine. Deck is a Pioneer DEH-73BT.

Any ideas? To much power? Improper settings? Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you need any more info, just let me know. I'd really like to get some lows going again as the rest of the system sounds great. I am a little pissed, tbh. At myself mostly. I think I over looked some detail(s).

I do have a question regarding the amp power and dual channel feature. I'd like to know if it's possible to limit the power/energy/wattage from the battery to the amp. Also, can I limit/reduce the power to my 6x9's after the amp? The 6x9's are Pioneer TS-D6902R.

I ask disregarding the dead subs because I do believe the amp is working properly. I had it tested and was told it works fine. I think I may have missed something. I had the amp settings set to normal or less for all setups.

Thanks for your time.

-Tyler

Do you have pictures and/or description of how everything is connected? Are you running 2 subs at once or 1? What are your listening habits? Were you playing really loud when this happened? What kind of box? How are the subs wired?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.