Need Help for Future Car Audio shop.

mmats, treo, and dd. all the same ****. dd has far superior build quality. all three are the same woofers and a great product.
now, why would you say that? by saying that they are the same (not dissagreing with you) you imply that they are all built in the same build house. now, do you REALLY think that this build house would make the dd's better than the others? no.

alrighty fellas keep it comin. and to the guy who asked are we going to have a showroom...yes we are. i know what we are getting into because i used to work for a stereo shop called Norton Stereo here. as far as employees we have all that covered. We havent decided on a shop name yet but we will do Window tint, Detailing and car audio. if you spend over $400 we offer a free full detail so we can have your ride looking right when you get ur new equipment.

We are going to have a "bar-like" area where we will have Windows into the install bay so some people could see whats going on in the back but it wont show too much.

so far it seems like the line-up will be this...

Memphis, mtx, kicker(our in-town distribution center already carries all of these WITH NO BUY IN!!!) Zapco, and Soundstream or DD. possibly both....wont be keeping the big money stuff in store to save money so its only special order.

but keep it coming guys thanks for your help.....i need an honest opinion on those XXX-6500 by soundstream because i am thinking of getting that one out of the classifieds. it will push my fully loaded BTL 15. going in the trunk of a 05 civic.

um- just a suggestion- if you are truly going to do this- i would ditch the fi sub.. not that there is anything wrong with it, but if you are going to carry all these products- you should run one of those brands... looks bad otherwise...

are you just focused on the car audio part. at time you will make alot more money doing alarms remote starts than systems. also if u can do fiberglass projects then that good cashflow.

Can I ask where this shop is going to be? Are you going to carry strictly car audio equipment? Is there many other shops around the area your shop will be in. Only reason Im asking these questions is because typically unless your in a bigger city with relatively few quality audio shops you will have a hard go at it. Especially if your strictly car audio. Honestly I would carry some home/pro audio equipment too, or atleast have an ordering catolog that way you can cater to a much larger crowd. If there are 2 or 3 established shops within a 20 mile radius of where you are planning on setting up shop, i would either try to find a different location or scrap the idea. Its incredibly difficult to try and come into an established market as a small business owner, especially in a relatively low demand sector such as car audio/electronics. And as others have already stated, you are definately going to want to carry all different levels of equipment, as much of your sales will come from lower end equipment. Also I know you are probably set on going into business with your buddy, but it is typically not a good thing to do. Not only are partnerships one of the hardest ways to succeed in business, but if things go sour you are also out of a friendship. If you do go through with this, the first thing I would absolutely do is set a good chunk of change aside for advertising. As a small business owner you are going to want to get the name out there as much as possible. Look at television, radio, billboards whatever you can to make people see your name. Make a TON of business cards and leave them with as many people as are willing to take em. Understand that the first few years of business are going to be rough, and will ultimately make or break your business. If you take a good approach to this it can be a good, profitable experience. Best of luck to you!

Oh and sorry for the short book i just wrote:crap:

Ummm dude, you need a major draw line. Do you expect to send your customers over to your competition for that new cd player and then hope that they come back to see you for the balance of the system? Good luck with that, I know that when a customer comes into my business, that customer is not going anywhere after I have talked with them, your customer just became my customer.

Fatal flaw.....you must have a major draw line that has everything from heads to speakers.

MMats, cadence, american bass, us amps, treo, diamond, and many more, just whatever you can get the best deal on and what you are looking for as far as retail price.

I personally think you're looking at some very expensive lines for a new shop. I don't know if you actually have any idea how much Zapco will cost you.

And if your in town distributor is who I think it is...don't expect to be selling much Kicker. By the time you buy it and mark it up, everyone in town will have you beat.

Sounds to me you need to sit back down at the drawing board and figure out how much money you have to spend to open a shop. Then go from there....

I ran a shop for six years, and was a dealer for PG, PPI, Memphis, and Eclipse. My advice is this:

Only buy mass market product (headunits, alarms, video equipment) from a distributor. The prices on these products are burned by their wide availability to the point where being a Pioneer or K9 dealer has no significant advantage over just getting the stuff from a distributor. Buying Kicker or MMATS from a distributor is a bad idea not only because you'll pay significantly more, but because you'll miss out on various dealer programs (earning points, % off a purchase over a certain amount, special sales, etc.)

Make sure you buy reliable product that won't take a dump on you. When PPI switched to offshore production the first couple batches of their amps had something like a 2 in 5 mortality rate. Customer comes back pissed off, you waste your installer's time switching out the amp, customer comes back again even more pissed off, you try to get the customer to upgrade to another amp, etc. It ends with you dropping the line, losing money, and probably losing a few customers because people think you sold them junk.

Do not do the "window into the install bay" idea you were talking about. Yes, real enthusiasts would appreciate it, but the occasional gangbanger/old man/soprano wannabe type loser will turn it into a nightmare. I know because I did this before and it was a big mistake.

Buy cheap and reliable alarms. Alarms are the bread and butter of many shops. I'd suggest selling K-9 as your cheapest (it's been scientifically proven that the K-9 Mundial system is capable of withstanding an EMP blast). Then get a cheap remote start and pager system like Autopage and something you would use yourself as your top brand.

As far as lines are concerned, I think you have an excellent choice with Memphis. Another nice line to carry would be Eclipse because you can get their electronics which are one of the few electronic brands NOT commonly available through distributors. I would suggest carrying Memphis, Eclipse, JL, Morel, and Zapco. Then buy a few Lightning Audio amps and Pioneer coaxial speakers from a distributor for the broke highschool kids. Diamond, ID, ARC, and CDT are nice too but would be redundant in the lineup above. In any case, Memphis and JL would be a great start. Depending on how upscale you want the shop to be TRU, Genesis, Brax, Butler, and Dynaudio or worth looking into as well.

Don't have a bathroom for customers. You don't want these mother****ers hanging out in your shop, you want them to buy something, give you their keys, and get the **** out. They'll come back and give you more business if you give them a good price and do decent installation work, not if you offer them a massage and aromatherapy. Have three or four CHAIRS (not a sofa) in the waiting area and keep the bathroom next to a storage or woodcutting room. ALWAYS suggest they get someone to pick them up or call a taxi unless you're doing something quick like a head unit or basic alarm.

Provide services in addition to car audio. Tinting, rims, accessories, etc. Maybe rent a shop in a building that already houses someone that does bodywork and paint if you can find a situation like this. It'll bring more business.

Finally, don't open a shop unless you're absolutely sure you want this. Some people are doing okay, but most are struggling. If you want to do something in this vein open a home theater/home automation business. That's where the real money is right now.

Just my two cents. Good luck!

Amps, do Arc Audio. I carry those and they sell GREAT. I've been Memphis for quite a while and through dozens of companies I've dealt with they are by far THE best.

Like many have stated, average Joe stuff like Kenwood(even Exceleon), Pioneer, etc should be done from distributor. Try to aim for companies like Memphis and Arc that have excellent quality and will also protect you from flea-bay, sonicelectronix, onlinecarstereo, or any unauthorized internet selling. JL is a clear winner for your average Joe as well. Depending on your location, Kicker may be popular but if you have flea markets, you're doomed. And it seems like 90% of people online that have Kicker are purchasing them from online anyways.

For highs and mids, I see Focal has a growing foundation here in the U.S. so far. Setting up a direct account with Alpine may be tough since they moved big box, give it a shot...if you have connections you can buy anything direct.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/graduate.gif.d982460be9f153bb54e5d4cb744f6ae8.gif

-Arc Audio

-JL

-Memphis

...That would be a GREAT start.

Don't listen to me, though. I'm an '06er.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

I would offer to the person that you are doing the install for to be able to be in the install bay and watch you and the installers install his equipment.

I ran a shop for six years, and was a dealer for PG, PPI, Memphis, and Eclipse. My advice is this:
Only buy mass market product (headunits, alarms, video equipment) from a distributor. The prices on these products are burned by their wide availability to the point where being a Pioneer or K9 dealer has no significant advantage over just getting the stuff from a distributor. Buying Kicker or MMATS from a distributor is a bad idea not only because you'll pay significantly more, but because you'll miss out on various dealer programs (earning points, % off a purchase over a certain amount, special sales, etc.)

Make sure you buy reliable product that won't take a dump on you. When PPI switched to offshore production the first couple batches of their amps had something like a 2 in 5 mortality rate. Customer comes back pissed off, you waste your installer's time switching out the amp, customer comes back again even more pissed off, you try to get the customer to upgrade to another amp, etc. It ends with you dropping the line, losing money, and probably losing a few customers because people think you sold them junk.

Do not do the "window into the install bay" idea you were talking about. Yes, real enthusiasts would appreciate it, but the occasional gangbanger/old man/soprano wannabe type loser will turn it into a nightmare. I know because I did this before and it was a big mistake.

Buy cheap and reliable alarms. Alarms are the bread and butter of many shops. I'd suggest selling K-9 as your cheapest (it's been scientifically proven that the K-9 Mundial system is capable of withstanding an EMP blast). Then get a cheap remote start and pager system like Autopage and something you would use yourself as your top brand.

As far as lines are concerned, I think you have an excellent choice with Memphis. Another nice line to carry would be Eclipse because you can get their electronics which are one of the few electronic brands NOT commonly available through distributors. I would suggest carrying Memphis, Eclipse, JL, Morel, and Zapco. Then buy a few Lightning Audio amps and Pioneer coaxial speakers from a distributor for the broke highschool kids. Diamond, ID, ARC, and CDT are nice too but would be redundant in the lineup above. In any case, Memphis and JL would be a great start. Depending on how upscale you want the shop to be TRU, Genesis, Brax, Butler, and Dynaudio or worth looking into as well.

Don't have a bathroom for customers. You don't want these mother****ers hanging out in your shop, you want them to buy something, give you their keys, and get the **** out. They'll come back and give you more business if you give them a good price and do decent installation work, not if you offer them a massage and aromatherapy. Have three or four CHAIRS (not a sofa) in the waiting area and keep the bathroom next to a storage or woodcutting room. ALWAYS suggest they get someone to pick them up or call a taxi unless you're doing something quick like a head unit or basic alarm.

Provide services in addition to car audio. Tinting, rims, accessories, etc. Maybe rent a shop in a building that already houses someone that does bodywork and paint if you can find a situation like this. It'll bring more business.

Finally, don't open a shop unless you're absolutely sure you want this. Some people are doing okay, but most are struggling. If you want to do something in this vein open a home theater/home automation business. That's where the real money is right now.

Just my two cents. Good luck!
Great advice... I hated when the shop I worked at let customers in the install bay. They would bug the crap out of me, steal my stuff, stink up my bathroom... KEEP THE BAY CLOSED (no windows).

I didn't see it here, but you need to stock Alpine HUs. Everybody and the grandma thinks Alpine when they want a HU and if you don't have them they will go elsewhere even if you have better/cheaper HUs. I would think about stocking RE too they are better brand that some non audio people know of.

I would offer to the person that you are doing the install for to be able to be in the install bay and watch you and the installers install his equipment.
This is officially the worst idea EVER...

not only is it a lawsuit waiting to happen.. but that would make your install time AMAZINGLY long... because they would be in the way and constantly asking questions.. PLUS we all know that sometimes **** goes wrong when you are installing... and then you have to fix it... but if the customer is right there... you now have a 30min. arguement on your hands:blackeye: //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/pissed.gif.9f665f96bc89e98e708dabd4580bb591.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/verymad.gif.3f39c5c2fd57527b671fad3efdfac756.gif

We are all dumber for having read your post and you have been awarded no points!

Do all of us a favor and shoot yourself in the face:suicide:

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.