need help for buddy's s-10 system

Participant count
  • Participant list

mrmagoo_83
10+ year member

Ok my buddy drives a '98 s-10. We had a Jensen amp pushing a punch 10. I know dont throw anything at me please. Anyway, the sub quit, probably from lack of power. He wants to spend $400 on a decent system, well actually below decent, he is spending $200 of the $400 on a receiver. So I was looking at carstereotime.com and saw they had an Alpine Amp for $99, that puts out 130Watts RMS. Which is a good price I guess. Is carstereotime a credable dealer? I need some advice on the sub though. The amp pushes 240Watts max, so I need a sub that can handle 130RMS and 240 max. I think we will stick with Alpine to match unless y'all have a better idea. THanks for the help.

mrmagoo:confused:

i say go with kenwood tornadoes, i have 2 12s and they sound pretty good in a sealed with 130 rms to them, the handle 160 rms, but my amp won't push that much...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

well as for the jensen amp....i have previously owned one of the 400W models...it put out 150W rms x 2 and it sounded pretty good....of course back then i was a "volume master" and had the gains set too high....but you cant blow a speaker because it didnt get enough power.....so if you could give us a little more information about the amp and how high the gains were set and all that we could probably help you figure out why it blew a little better and recomend something better....also was the sub a dvc or a svc and how was it wired???....good luck...

speakers dont necessarily blow from a lack of power.. They blow from cranking the volume causing the amp to clip..When an amp clips it cuts off then starts out again with 2to3 times the rated power these power surges are what usually fry your speakers.

Not to mention the distortion from a clipped signal makes an ungodly sound.

Mike

Yea, he is one who tends to not head others advice. I beleive (i do not have all the specs for the amp) the amp put a little less than 100Watts RMS, lol. And was probably in clipping 90% of the time. It was wire to a factory GM radio, and dumby always has to listen at full volume. But I think we are gonna toss that amp, or sell it when we start the new system.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.