Need help deciding on new tweeters

Participant count
  • Participant list

PhatalOne
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Well unfortunately one of my Boston Accoustics RC820 tweeters bit the dust today. I think either the passive crossover allowed too many lower frequencies to reach the tweeter or it blew. The RC820 was rated max 275w RMS and I was only running them at about 112.5w RMS.

In any event I need to get new tweeters and I was looking at the Kicker Resolution R25's since they can handle 150w RMS. Anyone have any experience with these? I had also heard about the CDT's and was thinking about getting new components with them except that they don't come in either 5"x7" or 6"x8" and I don't feel like cutting sheet metal. How high are the CDT tweeters rated because I could never find specs on them which kind of turned me off even though everyone says they are great. SQ is very important for me but I also don't want to go through tweeters every time I decide to turn the music up. What would you guys recommend?

Poly, textile, metal dome ? Cone ?

Vifa, Davis, Focal, Scan Speak, Morel, Peerless, Tang Band possibly.

Quite a bit of power to run to tweeters. I'd also listen to the Kickers if possible before purchasing. Actually, I suggest listening to as many tweeters as possible before you buy to see what you like and what you don't like.

http://cdtaudio.com/cdt10lp.htm e-mail CDT and they'll tell you how much power the tweeters can handle if you haven't already talked to them.

- Steve

I like the R25's. I've been running the Kicker ND25's for a few years and love them. The R25 is just a newer version. Retail is about $200.00, but you can get them off Ebay for $99.00.(silk dome)

Yeah I know its a high power spec for tweeters but I'm still I little confused as to why my Boston's blew when the component set was getting well under its recommended max wattage so I just want to make sure that I'm not going to have anymore problems.

Preferably I'd like to stick to a soft domed tweeter since my Boston was a Kortec domed tweeter and they sounded very nice. Although I'm intrigued by the Titanium or Aluminum domed tweeters, I hear they are pretty harsh sounding in comparison to the Kortec and Silk domed tweeters.

Unfortunately where I live we don't have that many stereo shops unless you count Best Buy's or Circuit City's. So its kinda hard for me to go test out new high end tweeters.

I'll drop CDT a line and see what their tweeters will take but I'm not expecting too much in comparison with the rest of their product line up RMS wise.

Unless I hear otherwise I'll probably get the Kicker R25's because having my sound stage set mainly to the rear of the car sounds like s*** since I don't have an amp on the rear channels yet.

CDT EuroSport tweeters should handle 150 watts RMS... I have them now, well for the past few days, and they get about 120 RMS no problem.

They sound excellent as well, best highs I have ever heard, but I don't have all that many to compare too. But just wanted to throw in my two cents.

i happen to like the infinity tweets, but they can only handle 50 watts rms. I got 2 pair in my car and they sound good for the music i listen to, which is club, trance.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.