Need Help Deciding Between JBL speakers: 2-way, 3-way, and Bass Options

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hey guys, I'm upgrading the factory sound system in my 2001 Honda Insight. What I'm looking at on Amazon below.

I am looking at a couple offerings from JBL:

GTO638 3-way: http://www.amazon.com/GTO638-6-5-Inch-3-Way-Speakers-Pair/dp/B003KN2TF8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462840225&sr=8-1&keywords=gto638

GTO628 2-way: http://www.amazon.com/JBL-GTO628-6-5-Inch-2-Way-Loudspeaker/dp/B003KN2TEY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462839952&sr=8-1&keywords=gto628

I think they're pretty much the same except the 638s are three-way and cheaper.

Car came with front speakers, rears behind the seats are prewired from the factory. I am using this amp under the passenger seat: Amazon.com: JBL GX-A604 435W 4-Channel GX Series Amplifier: Car Electronics

...and an Alpine head unit: http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-Single-Din-Bluetooth-Premium-SiriusXM/dp/B00CKYH9Q2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462840402&sr=8-1&keywords=alpine+cde-hd149bt

From what I've read here and elsewhere, it seems anything more than 2-way for coaxial speakers is for marketing purposes only, as the extra "supertweeter" in a 3-way (for example) will just block more of the midwoofer cone. I was originally planning to use 3-ways in the front and 2-ways for rear fill, but after finding this out I'm rethinking my options. What do you guys think?

Last but not least, I was wondering about bass fill. I know, I know, my car is tiny...but for argument's sake, what do you guys think of these: JBL BassPro SL | Powered 8" Under-seat Car Subwoofer

I used a multi-amp wiring kit and ran wires under the driver's seat, too (in case I wanted to add something like the Basspro). I don't want a regular sub, as my hatch/trunk box space is limited and I rather like being able to carry other things //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif.

I figure a Basspro will be good since my cabin is small.

Thanks for helping me out.

2 ways are GTG. I.am not a fan of the powered subs and recommend getting a better sub option.
Sorry, but what does GTG mean?

Yeah, many years ago there was a guy on the Insight Central forums who made "Shoebox Sub" enclosures for the Insight that fit under the trunk box, but they're next to impossible to find. Any real subwoofer solution would take up valuable space under the hatch or use up the trunk box (cargo space is small enough as it is).

So what complaints do you have about the slim powered subs?

Oh, I was also wondering...if I'm going to use the preouts to the amp, will hooking up the speaker-level outputs to the harness cause any problems? I was thinking if I sold the car and kept my amp and speakers, the factory speaker wiring would already be hooked up to the head unit.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.