JBL P660c......who has them or used them?

Ridinhi
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
installed a set of these recently. Doors have been sound deadened,ccf, along with a layer of mlv. Speakers are in the doors of a 1996 f150. in these particular doors, the speakers mount up high in the corner very close to the dash. Tweeters mounted up high in pillars. Powering them with a Powerbass atm 440.2 amp which is rated at 100x2@ 4 ohms and 200x2 @ 2ohms. amp has a 30 amp fuse. 0 guage running from battery which divides into dual 4 gauge ran to the amps. Sky high wire all around. 14 gauge wire from amps,to passives to mids,tweets. Stock electrical for now but voltage hand doesn't even drop at all.

I guess my question is, do these comps require some break in time? The midbass is certainly there but ......they are not loud at all to me. Gains set by ear which I can max my volume out to 31 on the knob which 35 is highest it goes. H/u is Kenwood kdc-x300.

I have no problem with how they sound, just how loud they get. I have my amp set to full pass and have the mids crossed over on the h/u to 80hz

I had them in 2 cars and to me their biggest strength was how loud they got lol. I was only feeding them a realistic amplified 40rms each to. I'm baffled they dont sound loud I wish I knew why that is they should be plenty loud:(

sets I know of the get extremely loud infinity kapps and polk mm series both are also "2" ohm sets to consider if you change but id try those for a while first. Sorry that's all I got for ya.............

I had them in 2 cars and to me their biggest strength was how loud they got lol. I was only feeding them a realistic amplified 40rms each to. I'm baffled they dont sound loud I wish I knew why that is they should be plenty loud:(sets I know of the get extremely loud infinity kapps and polk mm series both are also "2" ohm sets to consider if you change but id try those for a while first. Sorry that's all I got for ya.............
thanks for the reply man. Ive only about 60 minutes tops play time on them but, I guess I was hoping for a lot more than what Im getting out of them. I am starting to wonder if maybe my door panel is not letting enough sound pass through the speaker opening, if that makes sense. Which model Kappas do you speak of ? I kind of feel like my comps cant handle the power Im putting on them but then there are some who say they feed theirs lots of power. I can turn the volume up and at a certain point they don't get loud anymore, just kind of distort.

my doors were deff completely sealed up I also wrapped a foam ring around the outside edge of them also to help direct sound into cabin. I ran the kappa 60.9cs and the mm6501. The kappas had no midbass at all but were louder then jbl p series and the polk was the beat of all 3 in loudness, bass response, clarity and just overall sound but the baskets are huge on them. The only gripe I had with the jbl p was the tweets.

thanks for the reply man. Ive only about 60 minutes tops play time on them but, I guess I was hoping for a lot more than what Im getting out of them. I am starting to wonder if maybe my door panel is not letting enough sound pass through the speaker opening, if that makes sense. Which model Kappas do you speak of ? I kind of feel like my comps cant handle the power Im putting on them but then there are some who say they feed theirs lots of power. I can turn the volume up and at a certain point they don't get loud anymore, just kind of distort.
it could be your amp. c1500martin was using a ppi 600.2 amp and they didnt get loud at all, sounded nasty as well. He used a soundqubed 90.4 amp and they came alive, got waaaaay louder and sounded a lot better. Both times were fiberglassed in the kick panel unblocked by anything. Also from what i've heard, those power bass amps need the gain extremely high to get any proper output out of them.

it could be your amp. c1500martin was using a ppi 600.2 amp and they didnt get loud at all, sounded nasty as well. He used a soundqubed 90.4 amp and they came alive, got waaaaay louder and sounded a lot better. Both times were fiberglassed in the kick panel unblocked by anything. Also from what i've heard, those power bass amps need the gain extremely high to get any proper output out of them.
I was just about to state that Im wondering if it could be my amp. Was he using the passives that come with the set?

I was just about to state that Im wondering if it could be my amp. Was he using the passives that come with the set?
passive crossover and everything. Just saw your amp man, if it was a class D, i'd believe the power but for a class a/b and that small size, you are probably seeing only 40-60 watts at 2 ohms or so optimistically.

Ive used them in a honda accord which surprisingly had a very well sealed inner/outdoor panel. They had a ton of midbass to my surprise. Maybe they just really want a well sealed environment. im not a big fan of the powerbass amps. They kinda..****. Im thinkings its the amp.

or could it be phase cancellation? are you using T/A at all. Are they wired out of polarity. Have you tried listening to them without the door card on?

passive crossover and everything. Just saw your amp man, if it was a class D, i'd believe the power but for a class a/b and that small size, you are probably seeing only 40-60 watts at 2 ohms or so optimistically.
Ouch my brother, those words hurt soo bad,lol. But Im thinking this may be the case

Ive used them in a honda accord which surprisingly had a very well sealed inner/outdoor panel. They had a ton of midbass to my surprise. Maybe they just really want a well sealed environment. im not a big fan of the powerbass amps. They kinda..****. Im thinkings its the amp.
or could it be phase cancellation? are you using T/A at all. Are they wired out of polarity. Have you tried listening to them without the door card on?
no t/a on this particular unit. All is wired correctly. I will certainly give it a try with panels off before switching them out.

Ive always had good experiences with Powerbass amps but...only the mono class d amps. this is my first time using a class a/b amp from them

ok, last question. what would be a good 2 channel to get? I need a small footprint amp to fit under the seat

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.