Need help completing my system ASAP - amp advice wanted!

Participant count
  • Participant list

Gullyben

Hey guys, first time posting here, hope someone can give me some advice.

I've been putting off completing my system for awhile and I need to get this done soon or I'm going to go out of my mind.

Here's my situation - I've got my front speakers installed but need to figure out what to do about the rear and/or trunk, and what amp or amps to get. *Here's what I'm working with (this is in a BMW 330Ci if that makes a difference, with a pioneer f700 something head unit). *I listen to all kinds of music, rock & hip hop (to be vague) but I don't need crazy window rattling bass- I do like to feel it though.

I've got Polk SR5250's installed in the front, I like how they sound in my car.

On the rear deck, currently there's nothing. *I like the clear soundstage from having just the front speakers, but I'm open to suggestions. *I've got a pair of diamond audio S500's that I can put in the rear, or a pair of 6.5" Kicker*CVT65 subwoofers.

I've been using an infinity basslink in the trunk but the trunk is really well insulated so I don't really get the punch I want (& I know it's not the greatest sub anyway). *I would like some more upper bass/low mids to come through. *I think when I get the polks in the front mounted to the actual door as opposed to the stock speaker mounts it will help, but still.

So the amp I was using to power the fronts died, and the basslink isn't working for some reason.

I want to spend less than $600 - what do you suggest? *Should I:

A) leave the rear deck empty & just get an amp for the front speakers and a more powerful subwoofer setup for the trunk

B) put the diamonds in the rear deck, get a 4 channel amp for front & rear, and a decent sub in the trunk

C) put the 6.5" kickers in the rear deck with a 4 channel amp running those and the fronts (is it advisable to run the front speakers and 6.5" subs from the same 4ch amp?), and a decent sub in the trunk*

With my budget in mind, what would be the most effective? *I think I'm leaning towards C because I think subs (even though small) inside the car would help with the lower mids/upper bass punchiness.

Any gear suggestions in my price range? *Used/classified/eBay prices are fine.

I want to get this done as soon as possible so hopefully someone can help me out quickly - any suggestions on any of my questions would be greatly appreciated. *Thanks so much!

sounds to me that you may like a full-channel (5-6) amp, but a decent 4-channel will also do fine if you want to stick with being satisfied having a front stage carry the mids/highs. since you already have the equipment, start with option "C" and a nice amp that will feed 150watts per channel rms. first things first, though. troubleshoot your system. if both your amps are out, i would start by going over the power/ground/remote, and make sure you are getting everything to the amps. if you had a bad ground, the amps could have searched for ground through the rca's and that could damage both the deck, and amps pre-amp circuitry. there could also be a problem with the remote wire shorting or getting damaged somewhere. next, if all voltages check out, eliminate the rca's, and hook a personal player strait to the amps with an rca-to 3.5mm headphone jack. the pioneer decks have a non-replaceable fuse on the rca shield to protect against ground problems. i would hate to see you go out and stert buying new equipment, just to find that you have more problems to solve and possibly a lot more money to spend afterwards. another thing- i'm not sure on your car, but there may be speaker buckets behind the rear speakers that could be removed to let the bass come through the back deck.

sounds to me that you may like a full-channel (5-6) amp, but a decent 4-channel will also do fine if you want to stick with being satisfied having a front stage carry the mids/highs. since you already have the equipment, start with option "C" and a nice amp that will feed 150watts per channel rms. first things first, though. troubleshoot your system. if both your amps are out, i would start by going over the power/ground/remote, and make sure you are getting everything to the amps. if you had a bad ground, the amps could have searched for ground through the rca's and that could damage both the deck, and amps pre-amp circuitry. there could also be a problem with the remote wire shorting or getting damaged somewhere. next, if all voltages check out, eliminate the rca's, and hook a personal player strait to the amps with an rca-to 3.5mm headphone jack. the pioneer decks have a non-replaceable fuse on the rca shield to protect against ground problems. i would hate to see you go out and stert buying new equipment, just to find that you have more problems to solve and possibly a lot more money to spend afterwards. another thing- i'm not sure on your car, but there may be speaker buckets behind the rear speakers that could be removed to let the bass come through the back deck.
thats how a big girl does it

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.