Need help choosing sub

kirk7728
10+ year member

I cant decide on what subs to get. The image dynamics sound good but they wont hit the low notes. I have already tried the memphis m3's and they sounded worse. They are in a sealed box 1.1 cu ft behind the back seat wired at 1 Ohm. I have really been thinking about trying some TYPE R's. Could someone please give me their opinions.

Certainly. It is not the sub's fault for 'not hitting the lows', but the type of box alignment you chose to place them in. Consider taking that same driver and placing it in a bass reflex enclosure and you will probably notice a world of difference.

When you say box alignment, if you are talking about which way the speakers are facing, i have been thinking the same thing. The reason i built the box the way i did is because i have heard alot of single cab trucks with the same setup slam hard. Do you think that the extra cab room has a lot to do with it? Which way would you do it?

When you say box alignment, if you are talking about which way the speakers are facing, i have been thinking the same thing. The reason i built the box the way i did is because i have heard alot of single cab trucks with the same setup slam hard. Do you think that the extra cab room has a lot to do with it? Which way would you do it?

Hmmm...

Ok, you can certainly take a few minutes out to change your sub position around (if its even possible), but forget the alignment word. Let's just use 'box'. It is possible that the drivers you have chosen to use may not be optimized for a sealed box (others can correct me here as I do not know the models in which you speak of). Now, if you want to capitalize on maximizing output down low, build yourself a ported box according to the manufacturer's recommendations.

I cant decide on what subs to get. The image dynamics sound good but they wont hit the low notes. I have already tried the memphis m3's and they sounded worse. They are in a sealed box 1.1 cu ft behind the back seat wired at 1 Ohm. I have really been thinking about trying some TYPE R's. Could someone please give me their opinions.
in a sealed box, you'll almost always want to use EQ. the max is a low Q woofer so you DEFIANTLY need eq. I'm guessing.......off the top of my head, at least a 5dB boost at 30Hz..... this is normal. Do you have active EQ set up???

otherwise, put them in a ported box, and use a high pass filter to protect them. If you want a good sounding woofer in a sealed box with NO eq, you need to go with a higher Qts driver... JL audio is popular for making those. Look for Qts's of 0.6 or more.

Type-R is not going to change a thing, its Q is also around 0.4 or so...perhaps lower. i'm not sure.

I'm guessing.......off the top of my head, at least a 5dB boost at 30Hz..... this is normal. Do you have active EQ set up???

I dont know what that means. any easier way to describe it?

Certainly. It is not the sub's fault for 'not hitting the lows', but the type of box alignment you chose to place them in. Consider taking that same driver and placing it in a bass reflex enclosure and you will probably notice a world of difference.
Was just about to say this, well not in those words, but basically that it's not because of the driver that it's not hitting the lows. It's the install that makes a different. I'd recommend a slightly larger enclsoure to get a bit more low end output.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.