Need help choosing Hertz speakers

YANKEEBOMBER78
10+ year member

I visited my local Hertz dealer and they are willing to give me a good deal on some MLK2 components. The are also offering me the MLK165, HSK 165XL, and HSK 163 3-way at a lower price. I would be purchasing one of these sets along with the HCX 690 for rear fill. They are also offering me an floor model Audison VRX4.300 or a new Hertz HDP4. Which setup will give me the best sound quality? Will the HDP4 have enough power? They claim the VRX4.300 is a lot better.

The Mlk2's will sound amazing as will the MLK 165 AND Hertz Hsk 165XL!! I believe they are rated at 150 watts rms per side. The fact that you'd be running the Mlk2's and HCX system I don't think either amp you mentioned would power them properly. I would recommend something like this. One of the sexiest amplifiers ever made in my opinion.

ZED Audio DREADNOUGHT 4 channel amplifier

500w is too much for almost any component set on the market.

If you're looking for SQ, what you'll be gaining with a big amp is a bit of headroom. Aside from that, not much. There's no such thing as underpowering speakers unless your goal is to reach a certain SPL. Since most SQ comps are judged around 90dB and the type of person who prefers SQ to loud doesn't pimp the boulevard at 140dB, I wouldn't worry about power ratings too much.

Buy whatever your ears tell you to buy. It'll be hard to do, but try to forget all the specs when you're listening and just buy what you think sounds the best. There's all sorts of power ratings and other features out there and none of them tell you if your ears will like that product. With that, I think most ratings are useless when one has a decent set of ears.

I would go with the Hertz HDP4 over the Audison. It will give you the power you'll need to run your speakers. I didn't realize the Hertz was rated at 4x150rms. The audison is only 75x4rms and won't power the speakers adequately.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.