Need Help choosing Components, Mids, and multi channel amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

Papaloads
10+ year member

LA, CA
Some background...I have a 2003 IS300 with the stock head unit, JL Audio 13" W7, JL Audio 1000.1, custom sealed enclosure, dynamat'd the trunk, some old Pioneer mids and hi's(that are now barely worth listening to), and a busted Kicker 600.4 amp running them.

The reason i say busted is because periodically when playing music the mids and hi's stop outputting the music and produce sounds that mimic the engine (whining) sound as well as some loud popping. When my system is working I listen to hip hop(fatty bass a plus), Metal(Megadeth mostly), and Rock, just to give you an idea of what my system would be used for.

side question:

when the bass hits in my car there is a noticeable dim in all the lights inside of my car. I've been told I need to get my alternator rewound and replace my car battery with a more heavy duty one like the Optima Red Top. Is this the way to go? Any of you guys have this problem? Suggestions? Could it be my Amps aren't properly grounded(this came to mind after i read the ground sticky)?

Finally, the main reason for this thread, I am looking for some components, mids and a multi channel amp to replace my current broke ass stuff.

My budget is flexible(trying to keep it

Speaker dimensions 6.5", 1" tweeters and 6" x 9"

I went to a car audio shop a while back and the guy suggested:

Diamond Audio S600a - Diamond Audio HEX 6.5" Components ( which > aluminum or silk tweeter?)

JL Audio XR650CSi - JL Audio 6.5 XR Series Component

Boston Acoustics Pro60

MB Quart QSD216 - MB Quart Q-Series 6.5" Component

^your thoughts

After reading through some threads it appears i can get away with not having any 6x9's in my car assuming i have some amp'd components, is this the case?

It would be greatly appreciated if you guys could recommend specific brand and models for each component, Mid and a multi channel amp that you guys like and would mesh well with my mono amp and Sub set up.

Thank you all for your time.

Concerning my present engine whining sound coming from the speakers, I came across this info

>>>Engine whine and ground loop fixes... take two - Car Audio Forum - CarAudio.com

going to give those fixes a shot tomorrow during the day.

If this does fix my problem then I might only be in the market for some components and can run them with my current kicker KX600.4

Any suggestions for components and 6x9's that would pair up well with my kicker KX600.4 amp?

kicker KX600.4 manual

http://www.kicker.com/06/tech-support/manuals/manuals/02KX300_600_800_4Manual.pdf

Of the 6.5s you mentioned I would use either the Quarts or Bostons. They both have very good midbass output, which would be ideal for the rock and metal. Run your amp in two channel mode and the mids would get plenty of power with some left over.

sghhr

Thank you very much for your recommendations

My friend has the Quarts and he says he loves them, but then again he isn't a sound connoisseur, so its good to hear his statements backed up.

Swaptrex

I'm assuming you're talking about these(had never heard of phoenix gold before)

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductReview.aspx?ProductID=17540

I hadn't considered them seeing as how this is the first i've heard of this brand. They are priced significantly below the speakers that have been mentioned. Would these be able to keep up with the pricier components already mentioned?

I'm still not sure on whether I do or don't need to buy some 6x9's or if the 6.5" components would be good enough by themselves? Seeing as how in all likelihood my kicker kx600.4 will not need to be replaced, this frees up some money that would have been spent on an amp. So if you guys recommend me getting some 6x9's it would definitely not be a problem money wise.

Let me know if the 6x9's would help round out my system or if they are just a waste of money for my application.

Thanks for your time

For my car, a 1991 Cadillac Brougham (naturally...LOL!), the 6x9's (Pioneer TS-D-691R REV series) give me some bump-n-thump at higher volumes that make up for not having a sub. The only other function they have would be to let the rear seat passengers enjoy music at lower volumes. I don't want to blow out my friends...LOL!

With most SQ designs focusing on the front stage and you already having a sub, putting the money into the PG comp setup should take care of the front stage nicely. If you rarely have a rear seat passenger or passengers, the 6x9's will not be needed. Put the extra money into sound-deadening material and a good install on the comp speakers to get the most from them would be my recommend. A substandard install on the comps will kill the SQ.

Rick

For my car, a 1991 Cadillac Brougham (naturally...LOL!), the 6x9's (Pioneer TS-D-691R REV series) give me some bump-n-thump at higher volumes that make up for not having a sub. The only other function they have would be to let the rear seat passengers enjoy music at lower volumes. I don't want to blow out my friends...LOL!
With most SQ designs focusing on the front stage and you already having a sub, putting the money into the PG comp setup should take care of the front stage nicely. If you rarely have a rear seat passenger or passengers, the 6x9's will not be needed. Put the extra money into sound-deadening material and a good install on the comp speakers to get the most from them would be my recommend. A substandard install on the comps will kill the SQ.

Rick
Cool thank you Rick for your recommendations.

For the most part I don't really carry any passengers and if I do they don't usually know anything about car audio systems so I guess it might be a smarter choice to do as you say and put the extra money on sound-deadening and install.

I'm relatively new at all this install stuff, mainly just observed my own and other car audio installs and think of myself as not tooo much of a retard (i can follow directions and use common sense), so I was wondering if you guys thought this sound-deadening, component and amp hook up(wiring already done), was something doable for a newbie?

Also I had a question about the way it would sound for the person sitting in the backseat of my car with no 6x9's during medium to higher volume playback. Would they have a not so pleasurable sound experience? Would they feel like something sounds weird or not right because they are in a vacuum like position in between the bass and the components? Or would they not be phased at all because the components in the front would fill the entire cabin and allow them to hear the music just fine?

Thank you for your time,

Ramon

^Yeah sounds like good advice. Last night I was gathering a bunch of info from threads here on the forum about sound-deadening and the big three. I'm going to do the big three first(when it stops raining) and then give the sound-deadening and component install a shot, it should be lots of fun.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.