Need Help ASAP

Participant count
  • Participant list

Ynot
10+ year member

I was just out riding around when I guess my amp shut off . There is no sound from the subs . I checked all my connections and fuse all are good . I have power to the amp it is getting 12V.

I think I may have blowen by subs //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif could the amp gone into thermal protection mode ? What else should I check for ? Please I need help . All info will be greatly appreciated . I am running a RF800.2 amp with two 10" Polk GNX104 subs .

If both subs went out at the same time without warning, I would doubt that they are blown. When my RF Punch 360.2 goes into thermal protection I would just shut the stereo off for about 15 minutes and then it would come back on again. My amp does not have a fuse accessable from the exterior of the amp. I'm assuming that yours does not either (I have not seen an RF amp with a visible fuse). I'm also assuming that Rockford has some sort of protection circuit internally, whether it is a fuse or not. That may be the problem. You said that there is power going to the amp, so then I would also be suspicious of the ground or RCA connections. I know that when a fuse blows, there is not suppose to be any sort of power transfer. I have experienced different. When my amp mysteriously went out, I used a light tester at the amp and it was receiving power, but when I checked the fuse, it was not blown, but I noticed it was an odd color. When I went to remove it, it appeared to have been burnt, but remained intact allowing some power flow.

natem33 I just changed the fuse to a new one , still nothing . I checked for a fuse on the amp itself and like you said it does not have one . Is there a way to check the subs to see if they are blown ? Also how should I test my ground and RCA connections ? I checked them to make sure they are tight and are fully plugged in and they were . I dont know man this is really weird . I have ruled out thermal protection because it has been several hrs. and it is about 40 degrees out here in NJ . Let's hope that it is cooled off by now . Thanks for your help .

Is your amp on the light i mean? If not do not try to open up your amp the fuse is in there but if you tear the warrenty stickers of your amp it voids the warranty so if worst comes to worst just send it to the company. Also take your subs out and smell where the voice coil is if it smells like burnt metal you'ull know its blown just if its smells funny they are blown if not then arent also if they are not playing at all then i dont theink they would be blown and not both at th same time try grounding to somthing else or check your rca plugs and see if your subs didnt come unhooked just do all this and check back.

Checked my connections all are tight . The red led light on the amp is on telling me it has power . //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif I used a AA battery to check my subs and nothing happened I then used it to check a set of speakers that I know are good and it made the cone go up and down . Does this then mean that my subs blew up ?

Most likley but is your box ported? If so smell in there if its smells really musty and unusal smelling then they are blown just try those speakers on that amp see if they work

No my box is not ported . I have two truck style boxes . I have a regular cab truck and did not think that any other box would fit . I smelled them and there is no unusal smells . All I smell is wood . I checked them out of the boxes and no sound .

Ok but try those speakers you used with the battery test the ones that popped up they will work on the amp just make sure you dont leave them on there very long you will know if its the amp if it doesnt come on.

Ok but try those speakers you used with the battery test the ones that popped up they will work on the amp just make sure you dont leave them on there very long you will know if its the amp if it doesnt come on.
I thought of that but the speakers that test good with the battery are only 6X9's with a 100W max . I afraid they will blow if I hook them to my amp .

Thanks again to everyone who helped me with this problem I really appreciate it .//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

turn your gain all but off to test the amp with the 6x9's and keep the volume down. you should be able to tell if the amp works without turning it way up.

try a 9 volt battery on your subs. it won't hurt them ( i used a 9 volt on factory 6x9's to find the pos side and they still work fine)

Did you leave the stereo on after the subs stopped working? I blew an amp like that after it went into thermal protection. It still got power and the fuses were fine, I opened the amp up and most of everything was melted. It got so hot, it even melted paint away from the inside of my car. Just send it in for the warranty, if you can't get it to work with the 6x9's.

I just want to say Thank You to every one who helped me on this matter . I have learned alot from all of this . I just got replacement subs tonite . I hooked them up and the sound came back ! I wound up getting MTX T6 's . They sound pretty good . They wound up only costing me $30 after I got store credit for the other two . Gotta love circuit cities blow out plan .//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.