Need Help and Ideas for a 2003 Ex Cab Silverado underseat box

Participant count
  • Participant list

crfrider
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Oklahoma
a yes i am thinking of trying a new box, i built a downfire sub box for my chevy ex cab under the back seat, i decided to just try and fit my 2 L7 12s under the seat on each side in seperate sealed boxes now this setup sounds nice but those subs are tight as hell in the boxes, barley fit, now im thinking cause im sure the L7s need a little room to move and this box probally isnt good for them, so i am thinking of tryin to build a new box, ok now im thinking of taking the bottom seat out and just keeping the back rest in, now i think i may build a box and just put padding at the top and carpet it, i think it will look funny cause it will shorthen the back rest but i believe it will work, first let me say that taking the whole seat out in the back is not a option cause my wife wants me to still have the back seat to haul the kids around, lol i already tryed to do that lol, so i was thinking of building a ported box, and firing the subs forward on each side, and port in the middle of the box, now i figured up the deminsions i think 55" long, by 20" high, and the width is 16" outwards, now these trucks have a hump in the middle that i would have to build around and i want the box to be ported, and was thinking a common chamber instead of two, so i was going to build the port in the middle of the hump now im not sure how much cubes the box would be and not sure what kinda fequency i could get with the port, i want the box to be tuned 32 hz, next there is not much room for my 2 amps but im thinking of putting each amp on each side floor, on each end of the humps and building a foot rest to go on top of them, with carpet, like just a flat board going acroos the hump with a leg on each end, what do you guys think, and help please would be greatly appreciated, anybody have a similar setup thanks

you post is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too long, most if not all will not bother to read.

I had an '03 ss, and I think you're off to a great start! Your idea is great! Remove the seat altogether and build a box that can be sat on. It'll be uncomfortable, but definitely doable... and if you're good, you can make it slanted like the original seats!

My suggestion would be to try to use the area underneath for box volume instead of amps...simply because you're gonna need all the precious real estate that you have there. The amps can always go on the back wall...

if done right, this would be awesome. if done wrong, it'll look thrown-together albeit still functional...I say go for it and keep us updated!

ok yea i was thinking that bought putting the amps on the backwall but how could i get to them to tune also if i did that and used the front floor as part of the box it would still have to have foot room also what do u think would be better having a down fireing setup or foward facing

ok yea i was thinking that bought putting the amps on the backwall but how could i get to them to tune also if i did that and used the front floor as part of the box it would still have to have foot room also what do u think would be better having a down fireing setup or foward facing
Downfiring definitely hits harder than forward, but if you could face them back toward the wall(while still leaving a few inches to load against the wall), that would pound the hardest. The box shouldn't extend too much further than the original seat, so footroom shouldn't be an issue...

so why do you think they would sound louder facing the wall, also which way sould the port face foward towards the cab? also if i put the subs towards the rear i would probally be better off doing my amps on the floorboard idea? also i was thinking lol it sounds crazy and probally would look very funny but if i just removed the whole back seat and built the box as the seat even the back rest and used the back rest as part of the box, like a backwards L shaped, with the port at the top? and padd it too? lol

so why do you think they would sound louder facing the wall, also which way sould the port face foward towards the cab? also if i put the subs towards the rear i would probally be better off doing my amps on the floorboard idea? also i was thinking lol it sounds crazy and probally would look very funny but if i just removed the whole back seat and built the box as the seat even the back rest and used the back rest as part of the box, like a backwards L shaped, with the port at the top? and padd it too? lol
I've tried all of those combinations and subs back/port back was def. the loudest... I had the amps on the back wall higher up behind the back of the seat, so it's not like the subs fired directly into the amps. Plus the whole back wall was deadened(you def. wanna do that).

But if u can get the airspace needed for your subs and still put the amps under the box, then why not? I'm just tellin' u how mine was(and by no means was it the end-all, be-all of ext. cab installs).

I actually lifted my bench and had a fiberglass box built underneath the seat. If I could do it all over again, I'd go with your idea so i could've maybe went with 12's.

I had two idmax 10's ported, and also tried 4 jl 10w3's sealed. With your box/seat idea, you might be able to squeeze 2 12's(that would be soooo sick). Good luck with w/e u decide!

do you have any pics of your install that would be real helpfull, was yours all fiberglass, also do how did you get your subs to face backwards, there is that hump infront of the back wall also? and where did you have your port in the middle of the box? also just one port and how much airspace did you get out of your box, and how did you lift your seat, also did you lift the back rest too? well my plan was to put the amps infront of the box right behind the front seats in the floor board, not under the box,

kowboysss01.jpg

kowboysss02.jpg

DSCN0026.jpg

IM001030.jpg

These boxes both looked great, but didn't sound good until I turned them toward the back(they stuck out into the footwell, so it was only for testing purposes, but I should've had a box made so that I could permanently face them backwards - I was just tired of fooling with it and decided to go back to an suv)...

the 4 10's sealed sounded better than the 2 ported, but there was more output from the ported box. I'm sorry I dont have any pics of the downfiring box, but it was too muffled and only slightly better than forward-facing.

I would never put amps in front of the box on the floor - I thought u meant under the box/seat...you can see the "riser" that I had made out of steel square tubing - it lifted the whole seat about 3 inches...

hope this helps...

yea man i like it, what are the deminsions on the square wood box, also how much can you lift the seat with the stock Screws? after lifting the seat 3 inches did it help fit it better and if i lift the whole seat how does the back rest stay up with out clipping the stock hook? and do you have to put a lift on the straps that hold the seat down on the bottom to? did putting fiberglass in the box make a difference in sound? thanks

also how do you hold the brakets down, do you screw in the factory screws to the bottom of the bracket then put some new ones at the top facing up for the seat to bolt on too, and how do you extend the seat belt latches? thanks

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.