• Participant list

messer
10+ year member

Quastion:

I am going to be powering:

FRONT (2) Ultimate Audio 5.25" Speakers 90w @ 4omns

FRONT (2) Ultimate Audio 3/4" Tweaters

BACK (2) Kenwood 6x9" Speakers 140w

What I want is Extreemly clean high's, with nice high base (Techno like base or rock type base; NOT loud thrunk rateling base)

Here is what I've found so far for my amp choice.

Rockford Fosgate G12004 Punch 200.4 50W x 4 Car Amplifier (Actualy 25x4@4omns)

Sony XM-475GSX 4 Channel Car Audio Amplifier (Actualy 75x4@4omns)

Pioneer GM-X364 300 Watt 4 Channel Amplifier (Actualy 40x4@4omns)

Jensen JXP680 (Actualy 60x4@4omns)

Lightning Audio Bolt B400.4 (Actualy 75x4@4omns)

Price wise I would match rather get Jensen amp, since I also need a new cd player and amp wiring kit, and monster rca cables; not to mention pay for instalation ( dont want to mess up my car its a 98 monte carlo)

So please advise me, correct me, enlighten me.

Thank you guys...

The main concept to know about amps is the phenomenon of overrating and underrating. The Jensen looks competitive watts wise, but it most likely can't actually push out the rated wattage, while the Rockford will put out more than it is rated. Also for clean sound, I'd stay away from the bargain basement amps like Jensen's. I once owned the Sony 754Hx (75 x 4), which is basically the earlier model of what your looking at, I consider it a mid/value amp. I had no problems with it and it sounded great, never owned another kind of Sony car audio, but I'll vouch for the Sony amps in the system quality range your looking at. A lot of people won't touch Pioneer products unless its part of the Premier line, take that for what its worth I guess. I'm intrigued by the Lightning Audio, never having heard it, but again its probably overrated in wattage.

I'm assumming those are peak numbers you have listed as wattage for your speakers. They really do no good. The RMS figure is the most important, and the peak is almost irrelevant. The numbers you listed for the amps are RMS, which creates a problem. If your amp runs 90w of RMS power to a speaker that takes 90w peak, your going to have problems. Like go get a new speaker kind of problems.

Just my 2 cents.

That Rockford is a "cute" little upgrade from the internal amp in your cd player, but I would go with the Sony. If you find a Rockford that is rated 40w rms or more that compares with the Sony price wise, go for it. But I don't think that specific amp is worth giving up on the extra power the Sony will give you. I absolutely loved my Sony, for the price. I had a ClarionZ725, Infinity Kappa 5.25"(front) and Pioneer 6x9"(Rear) in case it matters. I also had some subs. You might want to look into some subs, it will really bring out some parts your missing of the rock, and definitely techno. Whenever I played rock it was like a concert, lol. You can wait for those though. Hope I've helped more than not.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Thanks alote, you've helped alote.

I also just ordered a

Rockford Fosgate RFX9200 160w Motorized Face CD Player

w/ IR Remote / Multi-Color LCD / Clock

Total cost 185$ (ubid.com)

Its new so...

I will probly order the sony amp in 3 days with my wiring kit.

Too bad I will have to pay ~75$ for all install.

( dont want to mess up my car)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.