Need a new alt? Or extra equipment?

NewbieTB
10+ year member

Hey car audio. Looking to run 2 12" 600w rms/1200w peak subs with a 1500w amp but not exactly sure if my 84 g-body can take it. It has a 63a alt and a red top battery from autozone. Do I need to pick up a new alt or extra battery? Tried to do all the calculations but not quite sure of them. Thanks for taking a look I hope someone could help me out.

If you can afford it, get a higher amperage alty....if you can't then just get another battery and wire it in parallel. But GM 150 amp alternators for that car are pretty cheap and easy to come by.

What amp are you running?

If it is an overrated one it may not really pull near the amount you think it is or it could be the other way around.

So brand and model number?

Try to get a bigger alternator on a core, somewhere around a 140 if you can? It should be fine, and later if you need a bit more juice, look into doing the big 3, and add another battery before buying a HO alternator..IMO..Id look into the Sound Stream amps:D

Yeah it really looks like a decent amp. Good reviews usually do it for me. Also puts out a lil bit more power which is good aswell. I guess I look at another battery because a $200 alt really isn't in my plans. Would a SHURiKEN SK-BT20 be good enough? Or what power should I be looking for?

Well you can do a core on the alt at Orielys/or?Shouldnt cost that much? I will look up that batt, but you really gonna need a good alt just to charge that battery alone??Id spend my funds :boink:eek:n the alt upgrade first

Thats much better, but man, Im almost sure you can get a 140 amp alt over the counter for that vehicle, even if you do a small washer/bolt fab yourself for the 94-98 model alts.wouldnt take much to put that in there.?? That amp takes some juice, and with that 65amp alt, and power hungry amp(min 4ga supply)its not gonna be that great??Can you go to Orielys, and have them pull the alt you have, and one from the yr model suggested, and see just what the difference is?Another option would be to add another alt,and batt, just for the stereo?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.