Need a Amp that will make my subs really bump without blowing a fuse

Any pep boys, or automotive store should have dmm's. Even harbor freight should have one for cheap. You don't need a super expensive one. That will be the best way to know what you are wired at.

Get yourself a digital multimeter. With the system off, hook the + probe to the + sub wire, and the - probe to the - sub wire. Tell us what you get for a reading. Make sure the multimeter is set to the little ohms symbol.
This is exactly what you need to do. They sell them at wal-mart, harbor freight... few bucks and you'll use it for lots of other stuff. Then you can determine how the subs are wired.

edit: silliness you beated me.

alright ill see what i can get and go check the model number real quick but is there anything wrong with the amp or is it just the wiring?

There's a chance it could be something wrong with the amp - however if the subs are wired to less than what the amp can handle, that's probably the problem as it would be forcing the amp to make more power than it safely can. Although I'd hope best buy would do better than that and check first.

Do you trust your neighbor? Can you ask him some questions about the stuff?

yeah i trust him but he doesnt really know stuff about subs either he just got them installed too i just took some pics of what the wiring looks like right now... ill upload them in a sec

That looks to be around 6-8 gauge power wire... if the info I read was right and its making 550 at 2 ohms, I'd be a lil nervous personally...

Only way to find out anything concrete at this point is with a DMM. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

If it's making that much power, I'd use a thicker power wire, like 4 gauge. But it might not be wired to 2 ohms - maybe it's 4 ohms, which means it would be pushing around 300W, which is more reasonable for 8 gauge.

I'd buy a DMM, check the impedance at the sub box terminals with the amp disconnected from it, then report back with what it is. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

alright thanks for all help i have work tomorrow but wednesday ill go see what i can get and talk to some people at a pep boys or somewhere like that

I would Pull those subs out and write down the model # and all info I could, make sure they are the same ohms value also????Only takes a phillips screwdriver,and about 15-20 min??Easy way to figure out what kind of subs you have and not 2 different Values.?????Let everyone here know if they are the same,and post the model # of the subs,so we can figure out how they should be wired for the amp properly!!

I'd buy a DMM, check the impedance at the sub box terminals with the amp disconnected from it, then report back with what it is. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
or instead of wasting your money on a dmm, you can just pull out one of the subs and take a picture of how the sub looks from underneath and how its wired. Also if you can, you can just look underneath the sub and most likely, itll tell you the ohms on it. You should be looking for something like..

D2 = Dual 2 ohm

D4 = Dual 4 ohm

or it could be a single voice coil which its most likely is. and thatll be...

2 ohm

4 ohm

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.