Nakamichi CD-400 vs. Pioneer DEH-P880PRS

CRXican
10+ year member

omghi2u
This is my first post but I have been lurking and reading like crazy. I have learned that a large number of you are in love with this Pioneer unit and that Nakamichi just seems to confuse people. Ok, to the point.

From what I've read, the Pioneer 880 has a LOT more EQ options than the Nak 400. I tend to be a person that buys more than I need but I like to have the good stuff. I am however concerned with looks which is the main reason I have included the Nak 400 in this comparison.

I have a 2001 Subaru 2.5RS and the dash lights are GREEN. As I'm sure you know, every freaking head unit maker seems to be in love with BLUE (so lame!!!). The Nakamichi would be a perfect match to my interior.

At this time I will only be powering stock speakers. If I do end up going with a full system it will be quite simple. 6.5" comps up front likely no rear fill (small cabin) and a single subwoofer. Most of my music is wild and crazy or hip hop so I won't be aiming for extreme sound quality with processors and such. I do however enjoy clean crisp highs and tight, low bass.

Cliffs: I need a new head unit for my Subaru and it looks like Pioneer vs. Nakamichi. Also, I hope to purchase whichever unit I choose from one of the 6SPD, Dirty Jersey guys on this forum //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Any input is appreciated!

are those the only two you are looking at? What type of price range are you trying to stay within. Is there anything specific other than looks that you are looking for?

Well I've looked at a lot, was just trying to narrow my search. I've looked at some Clarion units also.

Like I said, I really don't need to go all out. I was trying to stay under $400.

I don't know if this matters to you but the 880 can change its blue illum to be white. I kept mine blue but if the blue is what is keeping you from it.... perhaps white will be ok?

I don't know if this matters to you but the 880 can change its blue illum to be white. I kept mine blue but if the blue is what is keeping you from it.... perhaps white will be ok?
I know about the white and could deal with that, that's one reason the 880 is still on the list. The silver and black would match my interior great as well. Black with carbon fiber dash trim (factory).

what model?
KDC-x889, most of the excelons have options for what color you can set the button backlights, this one has red and green. there is a blue ring around the volume control, and the display can show info in blue white and yellow. The green cant really be seen in the daytime but it matches my ford green lighting pretty well, and the white font looks good.

I have no interest in Alpine and I think the Eclipse units are totally ugly.

$400 is my limit. I am already looking at units more advanced that what I likely need.

Hell if you're willing to spend $400, why not bump it up and get the best HU ever made? I believe the Clarion DRZ9255 can do any of the common colors, but I'm not too sure. Go look it up, they can be had for a fraction more than what you're looking to spend & are going to get the best HU possible. You can find them used for around $5-600.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.