Nail in tire but still keeping pressure

Participant count
  • Participant list

bubbagumper6
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
The D
Found a pretty big nail in my rear motorcycle tire (around 1" x 1/8"). At first I thought it might be part of the steel banding or whatever's inside the tire it was in so deep, I could only see the little nub on the outside (I assume the rest had been worn off as I was riding). Anyway, I managed to pull it out and holy cow it was an inch long and entirely embedded in the rubber. So now I have a gash in my tire however it's still keeping pressure no problem. It was in at a pretty parallel angle to the tire tread, so maybe it was just completely seated in the tread rubber and didn't puncture the inner tire which is why it's still keeping pressure?

So I'm wondering is the tire completely toast or is there something I can inject into the hole or ?

Pics below and thanks in advance guys.

In the last pic I tried to illustrate in red the angle and direction the nail was before I removed it...

0418141829.jpg

0418141829a.jpg

0418141829b-1.jpg

If it were my bike..I wouldn't be hauling balls on it until I took it up to a tire shop and had them at the least place an inner patch just for safety measures.Hauling balls as most do on any bike and not taking the precautions may end you up licking pavement for the last time.Just sayin

Well it's not exactly a show-bike so yeah I don't really give two shits about how dirty it gets, so long as it keeps me riding //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.