my truck is turning off at the stop lights!!

misterio
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
texas
Every time i have my amp up high and i stop somewhere my truck starts idling really low and sometimes it turns off unless i give it some gas. I have a 1200 watt audiobahn amp running at 1 ohm, a 5 farad capacitor (which only helped for the first week then the only thing it does now is keep the headlights from dimming, i think its true that caps aren't worth a shiat) 4 gauge wire. i got 2 12" CVR's at 1 ohm... what will fix this problem but not too expensive?

how much is it to rewind ur alt?

different battery?

thanks!

I would say get a high output alt. I found mine on ebay for 160$ Check it out. As far as wanting a setup that sets off car alarms, its not all what its cracked up to be. SQ over SPL anyday.

Sounds like your battery isn't holding a charge and/or your alt is dying. At low RPMs you are drawing enough amperage, that the truck is dying from not getting enough voltage to your ignition system. That is the stereo related solution. The more likely problem is that your truck is 18 yrs old and a Ford. I had an '85 Ranger that did the same thing. It was a problem with the engine management system. There wasn't a stereo system in the truck when it was having the problems. I took it to the shop a few times and they could never get it to run right. I was looking at getting a whole new engine when I totaled the truck.

Sounds like you need a stronger alternator--bad. You turn your system up and the engine still needs to have at least a base amount of power; but your system's ******* down everything the alternator can do plus the battery reserve! Get a high output alternator, and keep your system down till you do or you'll ruin your battery.

You should at least get the alternator you have checked (Battery too)--it might be on its way out, not puting out the juice it's supposed to.

alright well i guess ill just wait it out cuz its not like i want to keep this truck anyway its just my first car so i don't plan on spending money on something like the alternator because i see it as a waste of money cuz i only want to spend money on the system that i can take out and put in another vehicle.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.