My test: PPi phantom 900.4

looks good, should have enough cool air to keep it moderate temps all around.
Thanks,.. I'm not finished with it "cosmetically" -- On the outside of the door I have about 1/4" holes drilled in a square pattern for intake,.. It doesn't look awful, but it was a temporary solution till the Grill/Vent I ordered comes in. When it arrives, I'm going to drill the holes out entirely, basically cutting a solid square out going on the outside edges of all the holes (which I purposefully drilled about about ~1/2" inside the outer edges of the Fan that is mounted inside the door (as shown) ). Then fabricate on that Grill/Vent I ordered to make it look much cleaner plus the airflow will go up by at least 50 percent.

However, as it functions right now; The amp stays literally *cool* 100% of the time. I repeated the 3 hour DVD "test" with car off, windows up that seemed , for whatever reason, to heat the amp up more than anything (music) or otherwise ever did. After 3 hours of constant usage it wasn't even warm with that fan. It's quite amazing what some airflow coming in from the cabin can do for Amp temps,.. It had to literally reduce the Amp's operating temperature by 40-50 degree's.. which is quite drastic to me.

Judging by my "Hand thermometer" I would say that amp was getting up to 80-90 degree's F. Hot enough to feel VERY warm, but not quite hot enough to be unable to leave your hand on the amp indefinitely (prior to installing the cooling fan). Now then amp can be a bit chilly as Metal will do.

Given the PPI 900.x series Class D amps, are well, Class D -- I assumed they should operate at cool temperatures and even being pressed for hours on end they shouldn't be anymore than lukewarm, not close to being "hot". I now think this is the "intended" design of these amps given with just a cooling fan introduced mine operating at max rated wattage staying so cool.

Again, to the OP, great review -- And to anyone considering PPI 900.x series amps, whether it's this amp the 900.4, 4 channel,.. or the amp I picked up for my needs the 900.5, 5 channel -- I highly recommend them. VERY affordable (My 5 channel was $209) and nice clean power. Pushing 70watts RMS x 4, and 270'ish watts (closer to 300.. x 1 for the single 10" sub) my gains are 40-50% on Front and Rear mids/highs,.. and 60% for the Sub (Which I do have at the absolute maximum this amp is rated for,.. the mids/highs I backed down ever so slightly by 0.25 to 0.5v to ensure absolutely no clipping) and I even pushed this amp at half rated wattage to all speakers just to experiment, and everything still sounded absolutely fantastic with SPL and SQ.

I drove my Phantom's pretty hard. Summer in the South with no A/C, average 3 hours a day commuting. Many 8 hour one way Fla beach trips, tunes turned UP close to limits widows down. Amps under seats.The only thing i did for better cooling is using long machine bolts as legs to keep the amps 1/2" off the carpet. Great little amp IMO.

I drove my Phantom's pretty hard. Summer in the South with no A/C, average 3 hours a day commuting. Many 8 hour one way Fla beach trips, tunes turned UP close to limits widows down. Amps under seats.The only thing i did for better cooling is using long machine bolts as legs to keep the amps 1/2" off the carpet. Great little amp IMO.
Yeah, I think they are tough.. And I am pretty sure if I left mine "uncooled" (didn't add that extra fan to the amp area) -- It would have survived just fine,.. but it just makes me feel better knowing it's operating very cool... and my summers are 100+ degree's where I live.. So it's going to be a different matter in a few months for this amp.

Glad to hear your experience with it was that it was tough as nails!

I know this thread is a little old but I wanted to chime in and say that I run a p900.4 and a p600.2 in my boat. I push them hard at 2.5ohms in an unventilated environment and I've never had a problem.

Previously I had some old school kicker A/B amps in there that would get to egg-frying temperatures after a few hours.

The Phantom amps have been famous -- put out more power, smaller package and never seem to get hot enough to go into protect. I love these little guys!

I have this amp and had it installed in my 2011 Camaro SS. it was truly very powerful and didn't have the gains all the way up. only problem was with interference on the radio stations. knocked out all the stations. tried trouble shooting every possibility to no avail. replaced it with an Alpine PDR-F50 and the interference went away. now I have a PPI paper weight.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

TaylorFade

10+ year member
I fail.
TaylorFade
Baton Rouge, La.
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies