My Subwoofers

Participant count
  • Participant list

Luminosity
10+ year member

Hello, I am new to these forums and using subwoofers and anything else car audio too. I have a question for those who might be able to help.

I have 2 12" Sony Xplods. (1300 Watt each) They are hooked up to a Mitsubishi receiver that I use in my home it works well, hits hard and never overheats. But for the few years I've had these I think they might be going to hell with overuse. You can hear strange noises come from them when lower hertz bass hits at high volumes, sometimes even at low volumes. Perhaps something with a voice coil or overuse?

If anyone knows why it's doing it, give me a headsup //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif

ps. I use a hardware equalizer to make it hit harder with the lower hertz cranked up. While I realize this might be the problem, I have used it for about a year but its only been the past month that even with the equalizer that it started making these noises.

pps. I know you aren't supposed to have them on a home receiver and know they might be damaged and have to buy new ones but I am seeking knowledge on the matter. Money is no issue.

Your subs are not 1300 watts each, you just went by max watts which means nothing. The rms watts on them, meaning continuous power, is probably 350 watts each

And what you might be hearing is bottoming out, meaning your slapping the voicecoil on that bottom plate, which will fuck it up.

Oh ok, makes sense. The 1300 watts listed is peak power right? Also, any idea of why it's doing it? Maybe overuse or the equalizer or just the fact that it's rigged onto a receiver perhaps?
Yes peak=max

And i just said what your problem might be, you might be bottoming the subs out.

Describe to me what the noise sounds like, or post a video of them in action. Either way, they are sony xplods so they are no big deal over. You should stick around the forums and think about getting some new quality subs. =)

Well if the problem is them bottoming out, what might be causing it?
If you know what bottoming out means, its the voice coil slapping the back plate on the motor. You play freuquencies too low for the sub, and don't have your subsonic up(which cuts out too low of frequencies such as 10hz and up), youll **** your coil up.

This is my very old sub, listen towards the very end, you will hear a slapping noise, which is bottoming out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myUovZDpqrs

If you know what bottoming out means, its the voice coil slapping the back plate on the motor. You play freuquencies too low for the sub, and don't have your subsonic up(which cuts out too low of frequencies such as 10hz and up), youll **** your coil up.
This is my very old sub, listen towards the very end, you will hear a slapping noise, which is bottoming out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myUovZDpqrs
Yeah, that's definitely the noise it's making. Why is it bottoming out now and it didn't months ago though? It used to never do that :

Oh also, if you could point me towards some badass 10's or 12's under maybe 250$ price range i'd be mighty greatful:veryhapp:

Yeah, that's definitely the noise it's making. Why is it bottoming out now and it didn't months ago though? It used to never do that :
Oh also, if you could point me towards some badass 10's or 12's under maybe 250$ price range i'd be mighty greatful:veryhapp:
spiders are probably starting to wear out and sag causing the cone to lose support and hit the bottom more frequently.

Check these guys out, great subs, you should try the sdc2.5's.

Audioque: Street Duty: SDC2.5

or this, and get one 10, in a nice ported box, will get very loud for you off 1000 watts.

https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraudio.com/sess/utn154c548178e85bf/shopdata/0050_Speakers/0030_Q/product_overview.shopscript

Pushing the sub too hard...it's simply running out of mechanical movement, so the voice coil is getting rammed into the back of the motor. Wearing out the suspension over time can cause this, as it makes the sub easier to bottom out when played below tuning.

Oh my, those 15's are nice. I see it says 600 watts continuous power, that's the rms right? Mine are 350 rms according to Wal-Mart. I'm not too sub-savvy but to me it looks like any of those 3 on that site would rape mine lol. What should I look for in an amplifier when I buy one?

Oh my, those 15's are nice. I see it says 600 watts continuous power, that's the rms right? Mine are 350 rms according to Wal-Mart. I'm not too sub-savvy but to me it looks like any of those 3 on that site would rape mine lol. What should I look for in an amplifier when I buy one?
They are rated at 600 watts rms each, I give my 10 inch sdc2.5's 1000 watts each everyday. I suggest you give them 800 each.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.