My SSA ICON 15 Buck Box Build

Marve_Lous

CarAudio.com Well Known
Aug 4, 2019
Houston, TX
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Do you prefer plywood over MDF? I like the looks of the enclosures. Just wanted to know what your thoughts are on MDF. Thanks.
That’s my first plywood box, and I love it. Feels very solid, and super light compared to mdf. My smaller 12” Alpine mdf box feels twice as heavy! MDF is fine if you wanna save money, and it’s easy to cut and work with. But I’ll be using plywood from now on.

Reactions: Buck and huberoy123

2RZ-FE

Senior VIP Member
Mar 14, 2011
Dixon, Ca
Home Depot sanded pine for me now on way lighter than MDF. I can double layer all around and still not be as heavy as MDF.

1.5" baffle non flush and 3/4 all around the rest. Good enough for my SA 12.

Coolhand20th

CarAudio.com Elite
Mar 27, 2019
Wisconsin
My 3/4" MDF box now with 2 10's in it is heavy as hell. I have used other stuff before but I bought what was cheapest that I could afford at that time. This time the build will be most likely 3/4" Sanded Pine from Home Depot and since I know the guy there who does the cuts he cuts them right at the length I want without any extra on them or being short. Not everyone can get Birch without paying 80 bucks a sheet either and that isn't worth it in the long wrong not when Sanded Pine or Maple works just as well and can be had cheaper also.

Reactions: Marve_Lous

Bobbytwonames

Angry Old Man
Aug 28, 2018
Vegas
Most guys here get there aubwoofer box material from a specialty lumber dealer. $75 for 1" 17 ply Russian Baltic Birch or $34 for the best ¾" MDF. I asked him today and he said that they carry about 7 different grades of MDF. So, not all MDF is created equal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)

Latest posts

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds