My review of vmi EXMW10 10" marine subwoofer

Participant count
  • Participant list

timhof13
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Michigan
Review of Subwoofer or Speaker:

Post name, details and review of the equipment you're reviewing. This forum is for reviews only! No questions should be posted!

Vmi EXMW10

First some pics, sub came packaged well

Compared to skar Ivx 10 I would consider these both entry level subs, the skar is way heavier but the basket on the vmi is composite so this is not surprising. The build quality seems excellent, I hate the grill. It's ugly as sin and doesn't stay on well

Screw down terminals nice for boating!!!!

Installed in a 1.5 cubit foot box ported to low 30's

I have to say after a few hours of listening this is very good entry-level sub. Very happy with the sub covers all frequencies well and I would not hesitate to purchase this sub for use on a boat. I will they would have sent me a pair so I could put them to work. Sub is being powered by bridged channels from a Jl audio xd600/6 getting around 200 watts. I would not run much more power to the sub. Great sub for the money

Questions that others might bring up.

1. Does it seen well treated against water damage (ie treated tensil leads, treated spiders, water resistant cone/surround, etc)

2. Seems that 200w on a ported 10" in a boat probably wouldn't be loud, does it do well enough to run only 1 and it keep up with a decent sound stage or should someone just buy 2 to start with. Just in an open air environment I wouldn't expect much in terms of output.

3. Does it have a flat freq response or does it get pretty peaky? Would subsonic filter would you suggest for it? What low pass filter?

4. You said you gave it 200w, what is their suggested rms on it? Did it seem like it was close to mechanical or thermal limits at the 200? Why would you not recommend more than that. All the vmi subs I have tested thus far or seen tested seem to be great entry level subs or great subs for the money, but definitely won't take rms wattage for an extended period of time.

This is just a statement but that grill is hideous. I actually really like the white cone. I wish more car stuff came in white. I love the look of most marine equipment but most of it isn't well suited for a car environment.

Questions that others might bring up.
1. Does it seen well treated against water damage (ie treated tensil leads, treated spiders, water resistant cone/surround, etc)

Seems like it would handle water quite well, all above treated for water resistance it appears.

2. Seems that 200w on a ported 10" in a boat probably wouldn't be loud, does it do well enough to run only 1 and it keep up with a decent sound stage or should someone just buy 2 to start with. Just in an open air environment I wouldn't expect much in terms of output.

I would go with a pair honestly. I does have surprisingly good output for a entry level woofer comparably to a Jl w1. I can tell you more when the lake unthaws and I put my boat back in. Really depends on placement in the boat, if it's sitting out in the open it should keep up with a decent soundstage. In my boat my sub in totally tucked away beneath my rest bench so this will not give much output. It kept up with my tantric comps amped at 50 watts quite well

3. Does it have a flat freq response or does it get pretty peaky? Would subsonic filter would you suggest for it? What low pass filter?

It had it low passed at 80 no SSF, the Jl doesn't have one. Played quite well on country, pop, and even some dubstep. I would not call it peaky per say. Sounded good as one could expect from a 45 dollar woofer.

4. You said you gave it 200w, what is their suggested rms on it? Did it seem like it was close to mechanical or thermal limits at the 200? Why would you not recommend more than that. All the vmi subs I have tested thus far or seen tested seem to be great entry level subs or great subs for the money, but definitely won't take rms wattage for an extended period of time.

I believe rms is 300 watts on this woofer. I wouldn't go that high, I don't want to destroy it until I get a chance to use it on my boat I will hammer it hard come spring. It didn't get stinky at all, I think mechanically it's about spent at 200 watts not a lot of Xmax obviously. I will play it sealed and see how it handles power and sounds. 300 watts for and extended period cranked in a boat would tear this woofer up in my opinion .

This is just a statement but that grill is hideous. I actually really like the white cone. I wish more car stuff came in white. I love the look of most marine equipment but most of it isn't well suited for a car environment.
Yes and you have to kinda use the grill as the outer edge of the woofer is unfinished looking. I also think the white poly cone is very nice looking

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

timhof13

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
timhof13
Michigan
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies