My PC1400. How does it hold up these days?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hey guys. Been out of car audio for a while.

My sub amp is 15 years old. It's a PPI PC1400. Charcoal. 1x400@2-1x800@2. It was later replaced by the PC1800.

It sounds AWESOME. If you've heard one, you know. This thing was gnarly back in 1997.

My question is, power output aside (800 rms WAS alot), how does the actual amplifier technology compare to the new stuff?

Amps that were high quality (being powerful helps too) 10-20yrs ago are generally stand outs today because som many brands are going for quantity over quality these days - mainly in response to consumer demands.

Multi-ch class a/b amps haven't changed a lot (or at all) recently.

800w rms is still big for a 2 ch, because over ~500w or so most people are going to class D mono's for efficiency.

There are still some a/b holdouts though claiming the class d audible degredation is too much for them to deal with although many others claim there's no audible difference at all.

It might not actually be, but what if it isn't D, what would it be?
A/B There's a lot of efficiency gain to be had with modern class D. Also electrolytic capacitors degrade over time. At around the 20 year mark you may start running into trouble. Assuming failed caps don't take down anything else an amp like that is still probably worth the price of repair when it does happen.

It's actually on its way to the repairman right now. My friend blew it up.

Are there any parts I SHOULD have replaced to avoid future troubles? Like the caps?

1-5.jpg

2-3.jpg

3-2.jpg

4-3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7-1.jpg

8.jpg

With older amplifiers, its more of a waiting game till she fails,or min output received. I still run several old school zeds, pretty hard at times. I really enjoy old A/B under rated classics. By your pics, looks as if your friend ran that amp pretty damned hot! Like @ an ohm load it wasnt capable of(1 ohm).?or lower?Just guessing..lol.I run a pair of class D mono amps most of the time,on my subs,and like to switch out to A/B amps most of the time.Seems like it took me a few years to finally find a sub amp(new class d) that met my standards/expectations for the money.

With older amplifiers, its more of a waiting game till she fails,or min output received. I still run several old school zeds, pretty hard at times. I really enjoy old A/B under rated classics. By your pics, looks as if your friend ran that amp pretty damned hot! Like @ an ohm load it wasnt capable of(1 ohm).?or lower?Just guessing..lol.I run a pair of class D mono amps most of the time,on my subs,and like to switch out to A/B amps most of the time.Seems like it took me a few years to finally find a sub amp(new class d) that met my standards/expectations for the money.

The clown was beating the shizzy out of it, I heard. I wasn't there. It was hooked up to an Alpine R1042D@2ohms. The cone was stuck at XMAX.

Once repaired, it should good to go though, right? I don't beat on my stuff.

Thanks

The clown was beating the shizzy out of it, I heard. I wasn't there. It was hooked up to an Alpine R1042D@2ohms. The cone was stuck at XMAX.
Once repaired, it should good to go though, right? I don't beat on my stuff.

Thanks
Id run it all day long once you get it back.Ive learned over the years(since 1988) that it helps to elevate the amps off the surface approx. 1/2 in on up,and sometimes to place a small fan on them,keeps them cooler, and last longer,and perform as they should.I will eventually even place a fan on my class d amps just for the hell of it once I get my amp board finally placed.Heat destroys just about everything known,in my opinion/experiencing.I am also a strong believer in RUN WHAT YOU GOT,but do it right to get the most out of it.

Id run it all day long once you get it back.Ive learned over the years(since 1988) that it helps to elevate the amps off the surface approx. 1/2 in on up,and sometimes to place a small fan on them,keeps them cooler, and last longer,and perform as they should.I will eventually even place a fan on my class d amps just for the hell of it once I get my amp board finally placed.Heat destroys just about everything known,in my opinion/experiencing.I am also a strong believer in RUN WHAT YOU GOT,but do it right to get the most out of it.

I planned on putting a fan on it, also, some rubber grommets under the mounting pads.

I'm eventually going to switch my PPI amps out for Sundowns. Probably 4.100 and NS-1, but I'd like to get a good year out of my baby at least.

Yes,even like 5-6washers under each mounting tab works just fine as well.XS Scorpian/Stinger,have a, I believe a 105 cfm square fan @ Sonic Electronics really cheap. Like under $15 bucks shipped.My scrolls are only like 48cfm I believe..yet, changing to the 105s soon.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.