My new D8000.1 works...but....

Participant count
  • Participant list

SilverSquared
10+ year member

Fat guy on the GROUND.
Over the last few weekends I've been putting a new system in my truck. Well today, I was working on the final pieces. I put my d8000 in and since I cannot put the enclosure with 4-15s in the truck without a helping hand, I quickly tossed my under-seat box in there. I have a ported/downfire box with 2 P3 10s, d2, wired in parallel.

When I get everything connected and such, no matter how high I put the sub level on the HU, or the remote level knob, I hear NO bass from the subs. When I unplug the cable from the amp, bass comes out. I have wiggled both ends of the cable, and nothing changes.

The cable, behind the knob has the telephone jack type end, and at the amp its a 1/8th mono plug type end.

I have 2 other knobs, unused. They are from units with the phone-type ends on both ends of the cable. Could I try either one of these to see if it is just the knob that's bad?

I assume I can put my ohm meter on the end and swing the knob and see the resistance change...right?

Seeking advice. Otherwise Im putting my Maxx-Link in.

make sure HU settings have sub on

make sure you plugged the RCA's into the correct pre-amp

check the voltage at the amplifier power in

Any fuses blown

Is the amp turning on

Are you sure the speaker wire to subs is not compromised

---------- Post added at 11:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 PM ----------

check voltage of RCA's at amplifier input

why use that dumb *** dass knob anyhow?
Because,noob,not all songs have the bass line at the same volume, with the knob, you have the flexibility to turn the sub only up and down to match the music of the mids /highs.

When I get everything connected and such, no matter how high I put the sub level on the HU, or the remote level knob, I hear NO bass from the subs. When I unplug the cable from the amp, bass comes out. I have wiggled both ends of the cable, and nothing changes.
make sure HU settings have sub onmake sure you plugged the RCA's into the correct pre-amp

check the voltage at the amplifier power in

Any fuses blown

Is the amp turning on

Are you sure the speaker wire to subs is not compromised

Im most certain everything is in working order, except the unit to adjust the level of bass.

Once again...when it is unplugged, everything works. Without the knob, I don't have a problem. I just don't want to have to press and hold a button for 3 seconds, scroll thru a menu, press a button, scroll again, press again and THEN adjust my bass level from the HU. Knob is quick and easy.

most bassknobs have a different wire. count how many prongs are at the end of the bass knob wire. a normal phone wire has five, my bass know has four. usually youu have to match what wire you need with how many prongs are at the end of the "telephone wire". sorry that's explained so funny. i can't firgure out how to write what im thinking lol.

---------- Post added at 09:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 AM ----------

long story short many "telephone" wires are different. find one with the same amount of prongs as your bass knob.

Well today I tried a difft knob. No go. Then I checked the resistance. The "other" knob didn't register any. So, I put the Massive Audio one back on, and it registered resistance, and from Min to Max, it changed.

So I moved to testing the cable again, thinking it may have a short/break. So, upon playing some Metallica at 8am, I had the bass level on the HU at max level, but kept volume down. I plugged the cable in, with knob at 50% and once all the way in, it cut the bass off, 100%. So, I pulled it out. Upon doing so, I heard the bass basically fade in. I pushed it back in, slowly, and the bass dropped a noticeable amount, but not 100%. So I leaned to the dash and cranked the bass to 100% and it worked.

The cable has to be halfway plugged in/unplugged. Now, I've checked everywhere, the level control for my amp has the same **** plug at the end. Like a mono earphone cable.

Why does it seem like my amp wants a stereo cable instead? This is the very 1st time this amp has been installed. Bought brand new, factory sealed box.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.