My molded a-pillars (pics)

just any bondo? can you get the one at your local walmart store?
how long did you have to wait for the bondo to dry for you to sand?
yes its body filler which is branded by bondo. not sure if they have it at walmart but for sure at home depot, autozone.

as far as waiting, it depends on much hardener you put on. sometimes if you really cake on the bondo and hence you get a shape you dont want, you would want to wait before it fully hardens to sand it down. like its in a state thats pretty hard yet still wet. i did this with a cheese grinder to get the general shape that i wanted.

also a quick note, i also put the tweets in the pillars and although i got a great stage height, it was much more difficult to image correctly. i had the tweeters in the kicks before and i had absolutely no problems with imaging. its not that bad, just not as easy to attain a good image in the pillars.

yes its body filler which is branded by bondo. not sure if they have it at walmart but for sure at home depot, autozone.
as far as waiting, it depends on much hardener you put on. sometimes if you really cake on the bondo and hence you get a shape you dont want, you would want to wait before it fully hardens to sand it down. like its in a state thats pretty hard yet still wet. i did this with a cheese grinder to get the general shape that i wanted.

also a quick note, i also put the tweets in the pillars and although i got a great stage height, it was much more difficult to image correctly. i had the tweeters in the kicks before and i had absolutely no problems with imaging. its not that bad, just not as easy to attain a good image in the pillars.
that's because components are usually designed to have the mid and tweet placed together. Active processing can fix the problem though.

A lot of it depends on the drivers. The Focal 165K2P are designed to be installed off-axis, so having them in the kicks didn't yield the best results.

dleccord: Yes, we did sand the a-pillars to create a bit of roughness for the bondo to stick to. If you look at the pics, you can clearly see that the bondo isn't really sticking properly to the a-pillar. I also mentioned that we ended up re-doing it because of that (it wasn't sanded originally), and on the second time around we sanded them a bit and it worked much better.

Nice!

Btw, just curious, but what kind of car is that? Looks like a Honda, possibly Prelude. Reason I ask is that I'm in the market for speakers and may need to consider this option as well.

- Mike

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.