My ipod dies when left in the cold :(

Cold weather kills battery life. Just try to keep it warm, or take it inside, instead of leaving it in the car.
if cold kills battires why do they always say put them in the frezzer before you throw them away i never done this i dont know the awnser

if cold kills battires why do they always say put them in the frezzer before you throw them away i never done this i dont know the awnser
Thank you. Those other dudes can't read thoroughly.

I said cold makes batteries lose capacity, not die altogether, which is true. Cold slows 'em down, it doesn't kill them. Once a cold battery is warmed back up all is good again.

My point was that electronics love cold ... Batteries are not electronics. Again ... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Wooow. So let me get this straight. Your saying when a battery keeps loosing capacity, it will not eventually die, just run for short periods of time? You my friend, are wrong.

Wooow. So let me get this straight. Your saying when a battery keeps loosing capacity, it will not eventually die, just run for short periods of time? You my friend, are wrong.
I'm saying a fully charged, working battery in good condition can be made very cold, then warmed back up and should return to normal working conditon.

Are you talking about freezing a battery for 3 years??

All batteries eventually die, cold or not. Nothing lasts forever ...

From http://chemistry.about.com/od/howthingsworkfaqs/f/coldbattery.htm

Question: Why Do Batteries Discharge More Quickly in Cold Weather?

Answer: The electric current generated by a battery is produced when a connection is made between its positive and negative terminals. When the terminals are connected, a chemical reaction is initiated that generates electrons to supply the current of the battery. Lowering the temperature causes chemical reactions to proceed more slowly, so if a battery is used at a low temperature then less current is produced than at a higher temperature. As the batteries run down they quickly reach the point where they cannot deliver enough current to keep up with the demand. If the battery is warmed up again it will operate normally.

One solution to this problem is to make certain batteries are warm just prior to use. Preheating batteries is not unusual for certain situations. If the battery is already warm and insulated, it may make sense to use the battery's own power to operate a heating coil. It is reasonable to have batteries warm for use, but the discharge curve for most batteries is more dependent on battery design and chemistry than on temperature. This means that if the current drawn by the equipment is low in relation to the power rating of the cell, then the effect of temperature may be negligible.

On the other hand, when a battery is not in use, it will slowly lose its charge as a result of leakage between the terminals. This chemical reaction is also temperature dependent, so unused batteries will lose their charge more slowly at cooler temperatures than at warmer temperatures. For example, certain rechargeable batteries may go flat in approximately two weeks at normal room temperature, but may last more than twice as long if refrigerated.

so batteries SHOULD be kept in cold temperatures when not in use?

So leaving my ipod in the car during the winter is a GOOD thing? (so long as I let it warm up before I use it)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.