My first sound system

Participant count
  • Participant list

mynameismatt

I've always been interested in car audio, but only recently have I been able to bring myself to pull the trigger. I've put about a year of research into this, but over the past three months it has evolved into a full-blown obsession. Every free second I have as been spent pouring over a forum, list, countless Youtube videos or talking to the good folks at Crutchfield. After a lot of deliberating and constantly raising my budget to fit all of these compenents. I'll gladly accept opinions as well as criticisms!

This is going to **** off a lot of people, but I got all of these installations done at Geek Squad/Best Buy. I would have gladly tried to tinker with my car, but I was learning on the fly and Volvos are no joke when it comes to electrical systems. It didn't help that none of the car audio shops in my area are less than reputable and work out of a dinky little garage that looks more like a knock-off gas station.

Now, on to the list!

Head Unit: Kenwood DDX372BT (video player)

Front speakers: Kenwood KFC-P709Ps components

Rear Speakers: Kenwood KFC-1695PS 3-way coaxial

Amplifier: Pioneer GM-9605 5-channel

Subwoofer: Infinity Kappa 120.9w

Enclosure: Belva 14x14x14 sealed 1.0ft w/ polyfill

4guage amp wiring kit

Total- About $1,300 including parts and labor

This all started out with the head unit, as I really wanted something with bluetooth and could use my steering controls to skip songs. I couldn't stand looking down to change my songs and risk an accident or getting pulled over, and I was interested in adding a subwoofer at some point. This unit really increased sound quality and made me realize how much I wanted to go all out on this system.

Second were the speakers. I considered doing an all Kenwood system, but messed up and got speakers that overpowered any Kenwood 5-channel amp in my price range. In hindsight, if I could have done anything differently, I would have gotten lower power speakers and an Excelon amp. All in all, it doesn't matter. The speakers sound great and I got even more excited to finish off this system.

Lastly, the amp and sub. I decided on the Pioneer because it's the cheapest one that supplies the power I needed (outside of pure crap like Boss). The Infinity was an impulse buy, but also because it was only $120. Personally, I wanted SQ over everything, and I've heard awesome things about infinity and their sound quality.

As it stands, my system is halfway done and will be totally finished by tonight. I'm incredibly satisfied with the product so far, and confident that I got one of the good Best Buy installers. I'll update you guys on the finished product when the time comes, but in the meantime, would love to hear your thoughts and comments!

it doesn't matter what the name is on the building, it's up to the individual installer to go above and beyond. A few years ago, one of the top 10 installers in the country was a Best Buy installer in TX.

you'll want to know/see how the speakers are installed as that will be the biggest weakness of the system. my build logs (link in sig) can give you some idea as to how important I feel acoustical treatments are. they can also be added later on, when you have time to properly treat the speaker environment. i recommend the following install enhancements, in the following order:\

1. closed cell weatherstripping foam seals around speakers - seal to door metal and to door grill. $3 per door.

2. sound absorption inside the door cavity (see build logs). $10 per door.

3. sound absorption stuffed in vehicle cavities. i like Ultratouch Denim insulation by Bonded Logic.

4. close up door openings with rigid materials. cost varies but is minimal.

5. deadening products to reduce metal resonance, including on the rigid door coverings. $100 for the basics.

1-4 can be bought at any local hardware store (big box, ace, true value, farm and fleet, home depot, lowes, etc.).

5 is purchased at car audio stores or online. i like Raamaudio.

Nothing wrong with Best Buy as your installer. I personally install all of my stereo gear, that included the DVD touch screen head unit, 8 speakers, 2 subs, and 3 amplifiers. However, I had best buy install the amplifier in my daughter's car. Sounds like you did your homework. Happy Listening.

I hope you enjoy it. As a Best Buy installer I know it is hit or miss. We take on work from all over the state. The second posted is on key on how to get the most out of your speakers. We will use strip caulk between the door and baffle, and the speaker and the baffle, however beyond that you have to pay for the deadening supplies and labor. Even so, just doing that we can get some pretty decent mid-bass out of entry level stuff.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.