my dad wants 4 speakers and amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

budahbuddy803
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Aiken, SC
My dad asked me for some suggestions for 4 speakers he can hook up in his living room. He wants good sound quality and is willing to spend probably $400 total. Need a 4 ch amp, and a receiver i guess to get the radio and to be able to hook up the dvd player.

Do you guys some any suggestion on some good SQ bookshelf speakers? What about amp or receiver. I guess look all around partsexpress.com for something that fits the price range?

My dad asked me for some suggestions for 4 speakers he can hook up in his living room. He wants good sound quality and is willing to spend probably $400 total. Need a 4 ch amp, and a receiver i guess to get the radio and to be able to hook up the dvd player.
Do you guys some any suggestion on some good SQ bookshelf speakers? What about amp or receiver. I guess look all around partsexpress.com for something that fits the price range?
you won't get much out of 400$ if you want 4speakers with a 4channel amplifier ANd a receiver. all I can think of is a decent HTIB

well thanks guys, but my father is not an audiophile and just wants some decent SQ for his music because he is using a $25 cd player he has. How does this look?.....

HT amp

set of speakers

center channel

I suggest getting two sets of the 8" 3ways, a center channel, that amplifier, and maybe if he wants some lower end get him a small little sub. Do any of these things get bad reviews or anything?

That receiver will work, but I would not buy those speakers. Instead I would try to build the HiVi full range project on Zaph audio instead of buying the pioneers or any HTIB. Just make 5 of them, an 8" sub, and have a simple 5.1 system. Should be around $400. Each speaker is only about $25 to build. So 5 would be less than $150. You could build a good quality 8" sub for under $150 including plate amp. That is less than $300; you could pick up a good used receiver for $200 or just go with that Pioneer unit

http://cgi.ebay.com/Onkyo-TX-SR500-5-1-channel-Receiver_W0QQitemZ220197371335QQihZ012QQcategoryZ14981QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

See my post in the bottom of this thread:

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289221

thank you for the real suggestion. I will definitely make that suggestion to him, but if he tells me, " well i would rather just buy some already together" then i would just have to suggest those other speakers. I would really like to get him to make this a project so him and i can get some bonding in because he is very reclusive.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.