My cars hard to start when hot?

Recently my cars been acting up when trying to start it hot, and ive tried a few things but cant figure it out. The carb is a fairly new oem replacement rochester carb and its in good condition. The car starts perfect when cold, even with no choke it cranks as soon as you turn the switch, which puzzles me. I was doing some research and read about heat causing vapor lock and such inside the carb, and this seems like the most logical problem. One more thing i was thinking of is that my distributor cap needs replacing? Thats the only thing i havent done lately is the dist cap, i last did that about 2 years ago. Would the timing have an effect on the hard starting when its hot? It only happens when i park it hot and let it sit more than 10 mins then try to start it, it eventually starts but when it does start it sputters and blows out black smoke for a few seconds. What do you guys make of all this? I figured maybe someone with a little more experience could share some of it with me. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

black smoke = fuel
but that could be from you pumping it, i would start with a good tune up, have to start with basics
I dont pump the gas at all. I keep the car pretty well maintained and its in really good shape, this is just a problem that came up maybe 2 weeks ago. I changed oil, plugs, fuel filters, wires, air filter, etc. not too long ago, so everything should be good to go. All my vaccuum lines have been replaced also and i have no leaks. I seafoamed it last week sometime and it didnt help it at all. Last thing that could be replaced would basically be the dist cap and rotor button.

just keep a bottle of octane booster in your car and dump some in the carb before you start it, itll deff start something, maybe your car, maybe a fire, who knows?

your starters too hot

x2 .....Your old started is heat soaked,i situation called

HotStart....You should replace the starter for about 40 bucks

as the solenoid is cooked...also a good idea to replace the

cables that lead to the starter as they are prolly cooked too

and loosing contact

Does it crank over good. Like starter. I know some times thats a sign that you have a bad starter. Got a heat sheild around it. This is all If its like a starter problem. Not being there I am not sure of everything thats going on.

The starter is fine, i replaced that not too long ago, what im saying is the engine cranks for a while before it will actually start and idle, kind of like a diesel. Sometimes i have to hold it to the floor to get it to crank, tapping wont do the job. This only happens after ive been driving the car for a while and its actually hot. I also think i may be having a problem with one of my valves or something, starting to hear a tap from the driver side valve cover, only around 2000 rpm though does it tap, any higher or lower and i dont hear it. When i got the car 4 years ago it had a stuck valve that i fixed and hadnt had a problem with after that. Im gonna pull the valve covers and replace the gaskets and check everything soon.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

I Like Waffle
North Carolina
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
martyna
received_1404248310277849.jpeg