Clutch chatter and bad motor mounts

Participant count
  • Participant list

tigerf117
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
So I recently got a bone stock 96 eagle talon na 2.0L 5spd. Car is in great shape mechanically except for this grinding, scraping kind of noise you hear in 1,2,3 and sometimes 4th gear accelerating. Happens with clutch engaged or disengaged, and last for about 30seconds or so before it goes away. From everything I've read online, it is probably clutch chatter from the motor mounts being in not so great of shape.

Question is, how big of a deal is this? Am I wearing out the clutch or any other components prematurely? Don't have the money to replace motor mounts or the tools to do it myself. Could it also be something else? The car has been taken in several times and they "couldn't figure out the problem" (seems ridiculous to me, after searching online for a little over an hour I seem to have found the cause). All other maintenance records I have for the car, and it has been babied most of it's life. Thanks for the help

If this car gives me too much troubles, I'll junk it. honestly, I have a lot of faith in this car. Like I said it was babied its whole life, kept in a parking garage, all maintenance done and accounted for, everything fixed on time. Given to me for free, so no investment in my part.

How would I got about checking the throw out bearing?

IDK how you would isolate the throwout bearing being a problem.

When you say it grinds into 1,2,3 and sometimes 4 gear, is it a bitch to switch into these gears (along side the grinding noise).

Those are typical signs of a bad throw out bearing.

Good luck and keep us informed //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Changing gears is not an issue at all. The only thing I've noticed is every once in a while I'll put it in reverse and it won't fully get into R. Now today, this is a new thing, I put it into reverse and it didn't go anywhere at first, but the "grinding" noise started as soon as any throttle was applied. Took it out of gear and put it back into reverse and it was fine. Any ideas?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.