My Bar/Basement/HT room build with lots of pics.

Participant count
  • Participant list

brandontw
10+ year member

just some guy
Reno, NV
I haven't been around here a whole lot at all, but this may be of interest so some people...

Well, it’s been a long time coming. The project was probably conceived and started more than two years ago when I first moved into the house, but working full time, going to college full time, and being short on money constantly held it up quite a bit.

It was finished last Halloween. I worked all weekend on tying up loose ends like the projector screen, the sink, stereo connections, ect… Then we had an absolutely huge halloween party as a grand opening, three kegs, gallons of liquor, and a couple hundred people later, my new project was trashed beyond recognition. There was mud puddles on the floor… how does that even happen?

Anyway, there was no permanent damage, and we’ve been using it steadily for going on a year, everything is great, and I have no regrets.

It was my first time really doing a lot of this type of work, I’ve helped a bit on projects in the past, dappled in drywall, ect, but nothing really start to finish like this… I think it turned out well.

Here is what I did:

Designed and drew everything up in sketchup before hand.

Framed and built the bar into the existing basement structure.

Drywall, paint, and shelves.

Made bar top from Bamboo flooring, glued and screwed to ¾” MDF backer board, bamboo is double thick around edges.

Plumbed small bar sink into countertop.

Ran appropriate speaker, cable, network, and subwoofer wires through walls to proper locations for surround sound.

Installed terminal plates at all wall penetrations.

Installed projector.

Made projector screen (2x3 frame and blackout cloth)

Made drapes and ran cable and turnbuckle to hang them.

Installed speakers and equipment.

Installed new laminate flooring.

Repaint and patch entire room.

And that’s about it. The countertop is excellent, holds up to moisture just fine, and is sturdy as hell. The equipment and wires and placement seems to be perfect so far. Really no complaints at all. I wish I had more money to dump into it, but I think this is it for a while. I want to put a pool table over on the stone, rather than workout equip, but this works for now. Id love better seating too, but my wallet cant handle that either… so here it is tell me what you think

Oh and the equipment is:

Denon AVR-3806 Receiver

Xbox 360 for pretty much everything… it streams HD movies from my computer, does Netflix, Games, Music, plays DVDs, ect..

Monsoon FPF-600 Planar floorstanders

Acoustic research center and surround

Infinity sub.

Infocus projector, just XGA resolution, but works great for now, and it was dirt cheap.

And now for the pics… there is a couple of in progress one, but I cant find and before pics unfortunately. I meant to keep a better work journal of this, but… well, I just didn’t. the soffits that drop down from the ceiling were existing, where it comes down to make shelves and the bar is all new.

n23801021_31315921_663743.jpg

n23801021_31315909_4220196.jpg

5374_534958002949_23801021_31350778.jpg

8133_541356824659_23801021_31578835.jpg

DSCN1997.jpg

DSCN1988.jpg

DSCN1991.jpg

DSCN1996.jpg

DSCN1986.jpg

There's no Chicago Bears merchandise of any kind in this room. What a disgrace. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

What?

Lol, i don't watch sports... like at all... ever. And i don't feel bad for saying that at all, cause i built this whole thing... i think that means i can keep my man card.

Its pretty much a man cave... just one without anything at all related to sports...

And i think workout equipment is a suitable replacement for a pool table until i find a briefcase full of cash under a park bench.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.