Brass vs Copper Bus Bar

CarAudio.com Regular
I have some 1/4" brass plate. How would it fare in using it for a grounding bus bar? I got it from work a while back. It was used in 4160vac MCC for very high amperage. A/C is a little different than DC but in my mind the currents are much lower than the a/c it was used in therefore shouldn't it be ok for use in car audio?

Last edited:
Brass is about half as conductive, sometimes even more compared to copper.
The conductivity of metals has made me wonder if those whom use nuts and bolts in their subwoofer enclosures actually lose any power. I have looked for copper nuts and bolts and when found, they want alot for them. Then I think about power loss through chromed bolts may not be too bad.

The conductivity of metals has made me wonder if those whom use nuts and bolts in their subwoofer enclosures actually lose any power. I have looked for copper nuts and bolts and when found, they want alot for them. Then I think about power loss through chromed bolts may not be too bad.

If copper can’t be used, the next best thing to use is aluminum and it’s cheap. For distribution blocks, nuts and bolts for the box, or any connections that won’t be exposed to the elements, aluminum is perfect. You can use them in battery terminals as well since it will be very thick. It’s the wire you want to stay away from.

I have some 1/4" brass plate. How would it fare in using it for a grounding bus bar? I got it from work a while back. It was used in 4160vac MCC for very high amperage. A/C is a little different than DC but in my mind the currents are much lower than the a/c it was used in therefore shouldn't it be ok for use in car audio?
It should, but remember copper is a better conductor always……

Zinc also conducts fairly well. I use zinc nuts and bolts on the terminal cups I build into my boxes.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...